Dodge Dana 60 front axle will fit a chev? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 04:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dodge Dana 60 front axle will fit a chev?

Havin trouble finding a Dana 60 front axle from a GM up here in ontario. I have found a 84 dodge 1 ton 4X4 with the right gear ratio. I believe they used dana 60s up front as well as chev and that the pod is on the correct side unlike the fords. Guess i'm wondering if i can just bolt the axle up or will i have to source brakes, spindles etc.

Thanx

T.

Oh ya forgot this is going into a 76 5/4 ton chev ex military truck. Virtually the same as the 77 1 ton 4X4 minus the dana 60 front axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 04:08 PM

Re: Dodge Dana 60 front axle will fit a chev?

Everything you could ever want to know about Dana 60's

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 04:36 PM

The spring perches are a little farther apart, but close enough to work.But all the 5/4s ive ever seen had the 60, heck , i even owned one that had the 60 up front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I can't remember what I found but it was something weird when I was considering a Dodge Dana 60.

I think it had to do with the fact that the width of the axle was quite a bit different and the axle would actually sit under a GM frame offset to one side. The spring perch width is easily overcome with different bushings for the springs' eyes.

My memory is a little fuzzy though. I just remember I discounted a Dodge Dana 60 for a daily driver.

Anyway, I'd do some serious measuring before you plop down the coin for one.

EDIT:
and there was some reason why I was only looking at 79 and older Dodge Dana 60s too. There was something about 80s ones that made them weak in comparison to the rest. And the 90s ones had Center Axle Disconnect which made them weak. I think a 91 Dodge W350 had a non-CAD D60 though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 03:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx for the link. I checked it out. Looks like there are a couple things that are different.

1) All Chevy D60s are kingpin knuckle, whereas early (79-93 ) Dodge are kingpin

2) All Chevy D60s are internal style lockout / drive flange bearing hubs, whereas early (79-89 ) Dodge are external

3) Dodge and Chevy outer kingpin knuckles are very similar, and either will bolt to the other axle, but they are not identical - tie-rod placement is different - the Dodge mounts the TRE about an inch and a half higher.

4) Chevy leaf spring pads are 3 inches wide and 32 inches apart (center-pin to center-pin), Dodge are 2.5 inches wide and 32.5 inches apart.

6) Chevy rotors are 1.5" thick, dodge rotors are 1.25" thick, but the calipers are identical.

IDK ... doesn't seem that the issues are that serious but I want this to be a total daily driver so i want to do it right the first time.

I think the axle was changed out on the front of this truck the year before I bought it. The damn canadian military probobly cheaped out and bought the 44 instead of the 60 [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The new axle has less than 5000 miles on it... maybe i will just wait a bit until i can find a good deal on a chevy D60.

I really want something i can just bolt up and never have to worry about.

Thanx for all your input and help.

Regards,

T.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 09:32 AM

Try this link this is where I found my 60. Hope it helps.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 10:08 PM
GRUMPYK3500

Darn tavis. i have a dana 60 complete rotor to rotor all rebuilt. posi 4:10 gears every thing new. only the housing is used. with 4" lift springs and comletely rebuilt 205 transfercase. ready to go. bad thing you would have to pick it up im in the ft lauderdale florida area. john
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 09:12 AM
Veteran

Travis- Hey man were abouts are you in Ontario. I am from the Kitchener/Waterloo area. If you would consider a re-built there is a place in Kitchener that has has great re-builds and can put anything in them that you want. JMW 4x4 is the place. There is also a guy in Fergus that can build you anything you want. Im sure you get the Tri-Add, look under truck parts and his number is in there. I am getting a Dana80 front built for my pull truck from him next year.

Also, if you are in need of any parts especially frame parts let me know. I bought the same truck as you have just for the frame rails for my pull truck. I have all the cross members, shackles and everything for it. I also have tons of other parts.

Good luck with the axle....Ryan
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Ryan,

I live in London but the truck is at my dads farm in Springhill/Staffa (sorta half way between mitchell and exeter). So JMW is not a problem distance wise. I will try them on price. I have just found that rebuilders want big bucks for axles in the past. I don't really want to pay over $1500 for the complete axle. Less would be better [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Ideally i could find a 1ton chev 4x4 that has the body rotted clean off it that i could pick up for $700-$1000. Then i would have some spare bits for when i break stuff(and i always do).

Do you do any wheelin unrelated to the truck pulling? I am looking for a couple good spots to go once i get my beast back together. Do you know of any local clubs that do any trails or events? I know when i looked a couple years ago the only real club that was active in SW ontario was a jeep club.

Nice to meet another local 4x4 junkie [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanx for your help.

Tavis.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 10:19 AM
Veteran

Hey Travis- JMW is higher priced but they have good quality built axles for a good price. I priced a D60 there a while back for $1200. As far as clubs and stuff go, I don't do much wheeling anymore. In the past I used to but it wore old for me after a while. For me I would much rather pull and break stuff with the chance of bringing home some prize money than break stuff than bring home a truck with it filled with mud and then have to wrench on the dirty ass truck. For me pulling is also alot more thrilling and you can actually see and feel the power rather than just seeing how much mud you can go through.

Have you ever gone to any pulls? There are some huge ones comming up in the next few weeks up here.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode