Dumb question.....(350 rear main seal) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 03:51 AM
SHOTGUN

Dumb question.....(350 rear main seal)

My 79 K20's 355 is leaking like a siv. I know its a 2 piece rear main so that means I can just drop the pan and push the old seal out and push the new one in without taking the tranny out right?!? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 10:21 AM
ratlover

Re: Dumb question.....(350 rear main seal)

Yup.....

drop the pan, drop the rear cap, slide the seal out, and slide a new one in.

Remember about your oil pump driveshaft. With the pump not in there there wont be anything holding it up. Its going to drop too. Going to have to put that dude back. Might want to put a new sleve on there while you are at it or at least have one handy so if you take it off and it disintigrates you dont have to make another run to the parts store....the nylon guys can get a bit brittle over time.

355?....has it leaked since rebuild someone might have put it in backwards. Make sure you check and dont just stuff it in the same way it was [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 11:46 AM

Yeah didn't you just get done doing the rebuild? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast

Don't some of those guys require removing the tranny and such, depending on the year?

I have an 81 Jimmy with a 305, I have the rear main seal problem. I have not had the courage to tackle the foolish thing yet.

Also, any seals better than others? ie. Earls, Felpro, stock.

Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 12:29 PM
SHOTGUN

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Yeah didn't you just get done doing the rebuild?

[/ QUOTE ]

No its been finished for a while....about a year now......just gradually started leaking worse and worse since we got the damn thing back in.

I don't get as much time to fool with it as I wish I did.....that's why you won't see me on here for long periods of times.....then I pop in with a few questions at once. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the help with this prob...once I get this tackled I have a bigger one.. I'm ordering my lift this week!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 01:24 PM
ratlover

I always use felpro......

you will have a 2 peice so it folows the same deal as him

here is a write up.....sometimes you can get by by not using the tool(sneaky pete) by using old the seal off of the cap side then sliding the new one in. Dont line the seal up with the parting line of the cap and block. use a little dab of rtv ultra black on the ends of the seal.

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...rue#Post803923

any questions after reading this and fire away [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Think I will give it a shot.

Jim
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 01:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

While we're on the topic of seals...

How about a front main seal on a 400sbc? Easy or PITA? I've got one thats being a little beeatch[img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 09:09 AM
ratlover

Its easy....you just got to yank all the crap off the front of the motor to get the bablancer off(remember the center bolt and washer holding it on before you start cranking on it with the balancer puller) and the seal pops out just like a transmission seal. They make a nifty seal prybar deal thingy for getting them and rear trany seals out.

Easy job

Make sure it is the seal.....oil can travell in some funky ways and make you think its coming from some place its not....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 12:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks ratlover. Gonna bookmark this thread now [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Okay, I'm almost positive the oil isn't coming from anywhere above the balancer. Do I need something specifically for pulling balancers, I've got a huge assortment of tools at my disposal (my dad's) and I know he's got 2 or 3 different varietys of pullers in the shop. I've seen him use them on pulleys, sprockets, rollers...you name it... Was just curious if there was a special one[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode