lifters ticking? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 11:47 AM
killabeez

lifters ticking?

would a sticking lifter be a possible cause of my tick? the tick gets much louder when the engine is under a load [example, uphill in 3rd gear] and sometimes if i rev it hard then dump the gas i get a really loud bang. kinda scary. im hoping i'm not going to have to pull the engine but it kinda sounds like a cracked piston or sumthin. please help a homey out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 12:04 PM

Re: lifters ticking?

Does it ever go away? And it speeds up and slows down with engine rpm? Pistons slapping and lifters tacking are a completely different sound...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Lifter noise usually goes away with RPMs unless it is a really bad lifter at which time valvetrain damage soon follows.

At low RPM with a load it is usually loudest.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
rev it hard then dump the gas

[/ QUOTE ]

That ain't make no sense.

A rod knock makes a noise twice as often as a lifter. A rod is more of a clunk than a tick. A rod is predominant when at part throttle with a load. The more load the more noise. Sometimes it gets quieter at idle but it is always there. Rod bearings usually get beat to piss and hammer the babbitt out, sometimes all the way through the copper into the cap. The neat thing about a knocking rod is that it usually ruins the big end of the rod, damages the piston, and beats the piss out of the rod journal. Prolonged knocking usually ruins main bearings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 06:41 PM
killabeez

yes it does seem to get quieter at more rpms and the load that acceleration puts on the engine definetely makes the tick louder.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 02:58 PM
killabeez

sorry man what i meant to say was...when you punchthe gas pedal to the floor then let go completely...right after the rpms start to drop you get a really loud bang followed by some quieter clunks/ticks. it's probably no use explaining unless you could hear it bro, its a unique sound.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 03:40 PM
Way Outta Control

""the tick gets much louder when the engine is under a load [example, uphill in 3rd gear] and sometimes if i rev it hard then dump the gas i get a really loud bang.""

Check the exhaust - manifold to head gasket, manifold to headpipe gasket, even lower down than that.

A leak can sound like a lifter, gets louder under load, and the bang - rapping it up and decelerating pushes fuel in the exhaust, then the hole sucks in fresh air - bang, a small backfire.

To check if it's a rod, which I doubt it is, pull that plug wire - try to make the noise happen again - noise will almost dissapear. If unknown, pull one at a time.
If it is the exhaust, it will only make a slight difference.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 12:10 PM
killabeez

well, here's the deal guys. due to me cracked / de-toothed flywheel, i can't get the engine to crank over enough to get a compression reading. i took a section of hose and put it to the cylinder closest to the drivers side headlight (#1 cyldinder?). i placed it right where the manifold meets the head....bingo! the friggin thing almost blasts my ear off it's so loud thru that tube. so i guess my question is...could all this BE as simple as just a gasket??? i'm getting terrible mileage, and have even less power than before!...(not much power to start with a 2.8).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 02:29 AM
Way Outta Control

A toothless flywheel, an exhaust manifold leak, bad mileage, poor performance --- sounds like you might need more than a gasket.
But it's a good start. Fix it, fix the flywheel, then check compression. If that's any good, then address fuel and ignition systems.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 09:34 AM
killabeez

yea i hear that. quick question and then my eureka moment. can i pull the tranny and have enough room for flywheel work? i plan on a new clutch anyways, and would like to rebuild or put in a rebuilt xfer, but i don't want to take the whole motor out. now for the good stuff. i bought some gaskets for the exhaust and i got to work like a good dude should. turns out, the gasket for my ticking cylinder was only half there! further investigation reveals that that cylinder didn't have EITHER of the 2 bolts in the manifold. they rattled out somewhere down the road! hopefully i'll have my tick taken care of by tonight. got a question tho, should i use high temp gasket sealant on it or leave it dry?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 10:03 AM
ratlover

Leave it dry.

Should be able to yank the tranny and do your work.

Make sure that you support your motor so all of the weight isnt twisting the motor mounts. Its not good on them.

I dont know what you have but there is a good thread somewere in the SFA about dropping a trany and case and all that. leme see if I can find it....

any other specific questions just post a new topic [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post1057832

and there is another link in there that is good also.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode