leaking fuel tank - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2003, 06:58 PM
tool

leaking fuel tank

What should I use to patch up a tiny pinhole sized leak in my fuel tank out of my 86blazer? The hole's in an area where the holding strap went (common rust place obviously) and is in a pretty rusty area. However the hole is so small fuel doesn't quite drip out, the tank just gets wet in that area. Any affective patches other than welding? Also has anyone ever used one of those plastic composite fuel tanks? How does it hold up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 01:19 AM
Addict

Re: leaking fuel tank

use a wire brush and a gas tank patch kit from the parts store and unless you really know what you are doing, NEVER weld a gas tank...... damn good way to blow yourself up
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 09:10 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

On my passenger side tank I had the same problem (wet but no hole where the strap rode) from my 77 that I put on my truck. We were going to patch it but the hole kept getting bigger and bigger as we cleaned the tank. The gas tank repair shop wanted $60 to fix it. By the time it was all said and done we ended up deadening the tank and brazing the hole shut. We then put it back on the truck using rubber roofing instead of the asphalt stuff they used between the strap and tanks.

I don't trust anything but metal to hold up to the abuse of holding 130lbs of gas up off the asphalt in that area. If it was on the bottom or top of the tank I'd use those epoxy-based gas tank patch kits or even JB Weld.

Buying a gas tank wasn't an option for me. Those plastic tanks are pretty expensive. I was thinking about going to a junkyard and seeing if a Furd one would fit. A lot cheaper than buying a new one. I see those Furd ones scattered all over the junkyard most of them with their sending units pulled out. My guess is that the tanks hold up better than the sending units. I asked Dave (junkyard owner) why people don't take the plastic tanks and he said it's because they attract water. I don't know if I believe that plastic attracts more water than metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 12:03 PM
tool

Hey thanks for the help fellas. I'm gonna go down to the autoparts store and see what they have as far as patch kits, and if all else false just pick up some jb weld and some lightweight petal meshing to press into there and cover with jb. I guess we'll see what happens. Can't hurt trying! thanks again [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Addict

don't use jb .... the gas will eat it after a while ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode