Holley 2300 2bbl ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 10:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Holley 2300 2bbl ?

Is the mod 2300 500 cfm a decent carb for a 4x4? It is a 350 with a mild cam, R.V cam. I had a 600 edelbbrock on it, but it is now defunct. I got a 2bbl manifold cheap, but the Holley that was on it is junk, it is an old one they do not make anymore, and the feedback from holley says it is only 310 cfm anyway. I do not want to change the manifold again so, maybe a good rochester 2bbl would be a good 2nd choice. Some of the "2G's put out 425-435 cfm, and were put on 350's from the factory. I want my power on the lo-mid range,so dont think I need to go back to the 4bbl. I have a friend who races figure 8's and derbys and swears by the 2bbl carbs, I guesse that is why I want to go this route. The new in box Holley 2300 carb is $200.00, and if it doesnt mind bouncing thru the woods I will buy it. My brother put this same carb on a 1970 Ford galaxy, with a 351 w, and it screams. I do not do extreme 4 wheeling but do like to play on the powerlines ect. The edelbrock seemed ok on the angles,and has a bad rap as an offroad carb, if this little holley is comparable it shuld suit me just fine.
I have been lurking here a while as I slowly put together a 79 shortbox, 350, new 350 trans, 205T-case from a 71, and 32in tires. I am in west Michigan, I see there are a few other "Michiganiacs" on the board as well. If any of you Chevy "guru's" have any info please sound off.......Thanks, Lumpy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Holley 2300 2bbl ?

So I guesse nobody likes 2bbl carbs? I was able to get some "mixed" reports on the Holley searching other boards.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 05:17 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Nobody that I know of ever intentionally runs a Holley 2 barrel. Rochester's many 2 barrels were much better for circle track and more. I don't know anyone that'd run one for anything else other than a small displacement motor like a 4.3L V6 or one of the small Cadillac V8s and such.

I don't know much anything about Holley carburetors and nothing about their aftermarket 2 barrels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK I picked up a Rochester 2 bbl for a 72 350,has the biggest venturies,so a min of 435 cfm,according to the book. This should get me into the 5000 rpm range,and anything abouve that this engine will not ever see anyway.
I was going to get a Q-jet but did not want to coff up $400.oo to $500.oo, for a good one.I have had great luck with 2bbl carbs in the past,72 Chevy 307, 80 F-150 302,63 F100 390,66 Impala 283,all 2bbl carbs dependable ample power and not sensitive to weather changes dust ect. I think 2bbl carbs are very underrated, kind of like old S&W 38 special revolvers,simple,and they just plain old work.
I think this will be a good carb for climbing hills ect, have some other work to do to the truck,but will post a review, after my 1st outing. If I decide I dont like it I can change my intake again, and coff up the $$$ for a q-jet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode