4 to 2 wheel drive conversion? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 07:08 PM
HYBRIDBLAZER

4 to 2 wheel drive conversion?

Has any one done a 4 to 2 or 2 to 4 conversion. A friend of mine has '79 k5 that was lifted 4" w/ 33's on it. Now he's into the lowered scene and wants to drop it to the ground. He found somewhere on the net a guy who says all you have to is swap cross members since the lower arms attach to it and the upper arms bolt on the frame. Can anyone confirm or contradict this. Does the K series and C series use the same frame. 2wd blazers are hard to find around here. So we can't just start w/ a 2wd. So the post is so long. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 07:30 PM

Re: 4 to 2 wheel drive conversion?

Tell him to buy a Honda and not destroy a good blazer.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 10:45 PM

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

I agree. It would be cheaper to sell that Blazer and find another that's a two wheel drive, or another FAKESUV.

Seriously, that's just not right. But then again, a Civic with a "Big Block" 1.8ltr with a big ass wing on it isn't exactly a practical application of the vehicle.

I don't try to race my Blazer, I don't try to take my camaros off road and I don't give a rats ass about economy on any of them. I'd definitely own a Honda as a commuter car, but slamming a Blazer is just 'bling-bling' ya know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 02:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What?!!! You must be kidding. Why waste a good blazer.
Smack that boy.
If he "has" to do it. Leave the front in and try a spring under conversion with some stock springs.
I'm not sure it can be done, so dont take my word for it. [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 05:58 PM
HYBRIDBLAZER

Actually, he already has a Honda civic. That's where we're going to put the 4wd system when we pull it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 06:06 PM
HYBRIDBLAZER

If we did a spring under conversion, I think we might hit the oil pan over some bumps. Besides, he wants to go lower than that. I thought he should lower the Honda and raise the blazer higher, the he could park them in the same space.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 11:17 PM

Well i know a quick way to make it 2wd...but it wont help you any, Take out the front driveshaft [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 01:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm pretty sure hes going to regret it but you could chop the firewall forward off and get a front clip from a 2wd truck and slap it on there. Maybe a Mustang II front ifs kit. Check out fatman fab I think they might have something for that truck. You can get mustang II kits with airbags, might be the way to go. Stock 2wd crossmembers hang below the frame and if you were to lay it out that would hit first so a MII might be the way to go then you could lay body. I myself just got out of the lowered scene and don't think I'd go back unless its with rod or something.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 10:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You have got to be kidding us! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] It's been several years, but there was a Petersen 4Wheel & Off-Road magazine article about converting a GM 2WD to 4WD. The 2WD and 4WD frames are nearly identical, except for a few holes. So in theory it would be possible, as you mentioned, to install the crossmember / A-arm assemblies of the 2WD components onto a 4WD frame. But why stop with just plain jane factory parts to slam this Blazer, when aftermartket drop spindles and the like available to do the job right. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I'm really liking the suggestion that converting the suspension to spring under would lower the Blazer about 4 inches or more if you used some custom springs. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
dave
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 01:26 AM
Addict

hmmmm FRONT C-notch????!!!!!!!! .... hmmmmmm
I myself an thinking of a bbc in a S-10 pickup on a S-blazer chassis lowered with a t-case from an astro for awd .....would be what I like to call "stupid crazy scare the [bleep] outa me" fast but just not sure how to keep front diffy and cv's alive .... maybe fullsize stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode