Diesel cooling system upgrades - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Diesel cooling system upgrades

I asked this question a couple of years ago, but I can't find it in a search (I don't think the archives go back that far since the board was upgraded).
I have an 87 Suburban with a 6.5 crate motor and a Banks turbo. It always seems to run around 205 degrees (even after the new radiator). When towing, it easily climbs to 220-225 and I have to back off. If I pull over or coast down hill it quickly returns to 200-205. Someone mentioned a long time ago about a marine waterpump and dual thermostat housing. Does anyone have any info or part #'s for this setup? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 12:23 PM

Re: Diesel cooling system upgrades

shoot my truck runs at like 210 just cruzin down the highway because of my Turbo. I ran it forawhile without a thermostat all together...because mine was bad, anyway the temperature guage never broke 100, so maybe you wanna try that.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 10:38 PM
4x4_Diesel

No i dont think i would run it with out a thermostat becasue the purpose of one is to give time for the radiator to cool the fluid, there fore not having one would then let the water pass though the radiatior with out proper cooling time, ya theres a little more to it then that but we dont have to get in to it . My guess is when you put the 6.5 in the burb the radiator needed more cooling then just the regular "stock" radiator. because as the old saying goes the more power you have the more heat you create. Just my 2 cents
Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

According to NAPA, they only make one radiator for the diesel. It's a 4 row and it cost me $400. I can't see how anything bigger could fit anyway.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 10:22 AM
Can't Get Enough

You're truck came with a 6.2 and you swapped in a 6.5? Perhaps the 6.5 turbo needs more radiator than the 6.2.
NAPA may only show one radiator for the 87 Suburban with diesel, that doesn't account for a swapped in 6.5 turbo.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Since you have a giant radiator and hopefully the diesel core support then you have plenty of surface area. Your limiting factor is probably how much air is going through the shroud. I'd see about converting to dual electric fans. If you ditch the shroud it'll allow more air through the radiator and it'll get more air going underhood which will get rid of heat via radiation off the block and exhaust.

I have a 2 core in my truck. With the mechanical fan which was pretty good at sandblasting the bottom of the truck it wouldn't keep the truck cool except in low RPM conditions at low speeds. It'd overheat on the expressway in the middle of winter.

I picked up a electric fan out of a Celebrity/Cutlass Ciera and ditched the shroud. The fan will keep the truck cool as long as the radiator can get air through it (ie mud in radiator doesn't let air through). I even experimented yesterday running the air conditioning on MAX in 90 heat. The fan would keep the truck under 220 at a traffic light sucking other people's exhaust which is pretty impressive in my opinion.

Normally the truck doesn't exceed 180. Most of the time it stays at around 170.

In fact, now I have an icing up issue in the wintertime. I have a picture right after I got the new motor put in and the electric fan. I found the ice rather amusing.
http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...30803/ice3.JPG

EDIT:
If you measure your radiator's core width I'll go measure my electric fan's width and you might be able to run two of them. I think your radiator should be 29" wide and 19" tall but I can't remember.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 11:42 AM
ratlover

If you just ditch your shroud and leave you stock fan set up I bet you will run quite a bit hotter, especially when moving slow.

might try http://www.thedieselpage.com/forum1.htm

They are pretty sharp over there......

If going with electric fans I would recomend using some thing that will fit off a stock vehical that you rob from the bone yard. I used a dual set up off a windstar van.

What does your exhaust system look like?(size muffler ect?)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Since it's an 87 it has the old style copper core / brass tank type radiator. I said "Give me the biggest, baddest radiator they make." He said they only make one. It's 35" wide x 20" high. It originally came with the 6.2L. When it went, the previous owner wanted to replace it with a new crate motor instead of a rebuilt and by then they had stopped making the 6.2 new and now only offer the 6.5 as a replacement. It's only a difference of .3L so I don't see the engine size being a factor. It has a Banks 6.2L Turbo system complete with Banks exhaust system and it's been on since the truck was 6 months old. Oh...and the fan clutch is new too. If there were a way to set up an electric fan to come on and off by itself rather than with a toggle switch, I'd consider it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 12:03 PM
ratlover

You can have it come on/off at any temp you want or come on/off with switches or any other electric function or any combo of the 3.

You got an EGT guage? just curiuos were thats at....beings you devated from stock......it should be good though if you are running some flowing exhaust........
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

I have an EGT but it stopped working a few months ago and I haven't got around to fixing it. Probably needs a new probe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode