First mishap.....I met a tree. One question. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

First mishap.....I met a tree. One question.

Just a little battle scar. Seriously, barely any damage. It was the first time I took my wife for a ride in it and we went up this steep hill and were going down a path when the steering went out. I was only going 5 mph or so, but bumped into a tree.

The drag link feel right off of the pitman arm! The damn thing just broke! I knew the steering was sloppy, but figured it was just from the big tires. I wiggled things around under there and the drag link didn't seem to be lose side to side, but aparently the ring that holds it in was deteriorated.

To further complicate the issue, the parts store told me that the link was on backwards. We checked it several times and they said that the longer threaded link goes up top (connects to the pitman arm) and the shorter goes on the bottom. That's exactly opposite of how it was on there.

So which is right?

Anyhow, some zip ties and a clothes hanger later and I made it home. So today I'm removing all of the tires, checking the brakes closely, greasing everything that has a fitting and so on. Two of the lugs broke on the passenger's side front tire [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]OH:, so I'm gonna get an even closer look than I expected! I also don't have that size of alan wrench. I've got bigger, and smaller ones, but not that size.

How do I identify which axels I have?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 03:31 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: First mishap.....I met a tree. One question.

10 bolts have square ears at the bottom of the case. 12 bolts have twelve bolts holding the cover on. A Dana 44 won't have the square ears at the bottom.

Allen wrench for what? I think the hubs are 9/64ths or something. I know whatever it is I only have 1 of them whereas most any other size including metric I have at least two of.

The caliper bolts are 3/8". Your best bet is to go to wally-world or Sears and buy a whole set of them. A set of the three common ones from an auto parts store will run you $13-20 whereas a whole set of SAE Stanley or whatever wally-world sells is $10.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I can't find an alan wrench to remove the calipers. I know I have one, I probably have 3 or 4 of them! I have boxes and boxes and boxes of tools, just no where to keep them organized and clean.

Hey, it looks like you had some pieces fall of there. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Well, then I have a 12 bolt rear and a 10 bolt front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, it might even be an original 12 bolt. I think the last official year of them was 1980 but some 81s squeaked through. I don't think an 82s did but I wouldn't be surprised.

I think I'm high on scrubbing bubbles from cleaning my truck so don't quote me on it.

Well, to be honest, not enough parts have fallen off. I've spent the last three days trying to get the driver's side spindle off. It be stuck. I don't have any fire wrenches so I can't use heat. PB'laster isn't hacking it. As it was to get that side's caliper off I had to cut it with a die grinder.

They're my "new" axles that are going under the truck. 3.42s should be a ton better than 2.73s. Pretty much the only things I'm not going to be replacing on them is the pinion bearings and seals and the front carrier bearings. Everything else is going to get replaced. Well, depending on how rich I feel when I see that my draglink end boots are shot too. It'll be nice just to get rid of the damn rear drums. Every time I go out in the bush I have to pull them apart and clean them.

Shaved cases just because I can:
http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...inted_case.jpg
http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...havedfront.jpg
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 02:53 AM
Mud in my Veins

Attn Mr Bronco sell out: SHOULDAGOTTAFORD! [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

just kiddin, sorry to hear about your mishap, i've lost steering and brakes before and neither is much fun [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] maybe since you got the Blazer so cheap you could drop some coin on that bad boy heim DOM tubing steering linkage [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Well I just purchased a frame support. The frame doesn't look cracked, but I'm gonna reinforce it anyhow.

I also purchased a dropped steering arm to help with the drag link's geometry. After that I'll see how I do, but this thing is terribly scary to steer, especially on uneven roads. Offroad though, it's freakin' blast.

BRONCO Sellout, sheesh! It just needed too many things to fix and was going to be too expensive. Believe me I was looking for a vehicle that fit the criteria this Blazer met. I do like the fact that I know and understand the engine compartment like the back of my hand though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 12:58 AM
Mud in my Veins

question: if you'd been going 30 mph when the steering broke, which vehicle would've cost more to fix? [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 08:28 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I prefer raised steering arms over dropped pitman arms. The raised steering arm doesn't add any stress to the steering box or steering system.

As far as a Bronco sellout, a Bronco is the only Furd I'd ever have other than a Mustang. Ford trucks are worse than GM trucks 99% of the time and the Bronco came with a 351, fixed yoke transfer case, et cetera. The only thing that is at fault is the crappy TTB front end.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

You 2 are trying to start a Furd vs. Chebbie fight

Muddyless Bronco: Probably about what it's cost me so far to keep the Bronco where it's at! This thing has been a money pit with nothing to show for it--Although I'm not saying that because it's a Ford, it's just been ridden hard and put away wet, but not by me. I got it cheap, but it wasn't as solid as I had hoped it was. I've actually pussy-footed around with this thing for fear it'll just fall apart if I hit a bump too hard.

I have owned 3 Fords and all three were junk or about to be junk. However, it's easy to say that it's because they were Fords, but I dont' think that's quite fair. The first one, a Bronco II, I bought knowing that it overheated quite a bit. Well, the engine locked up on it, go figure. The second, an 83 F150 was a gas hog with no power that ate transmission like Homer Simpson eats donuts. The 83 Bronco has actually been the best of the bunch.

I've owned 5 Chevies. One got wrecked, I sold one and still have the others without any major complaints. However, these were treated better (except maybe the Blazer....that guy wheeled hard in this thing). The 89 IROC was kept by a car freak who probably added sunblock to the seats if he went driving (it was originally purchased by a lottery ticket winner....kewl car).

The 84 Z28 was running when I bought it, but since then I've replaced everything but the driveshaft, rear end and steering components. Now, it will just take a pounding and is my drag strip car. I also owned a 72 Bel Air that was my Great Grandmothers. She drove it a whopping 3500 miles between 1973 and 1998. My Great Grandfather actually had a heart attack in that car and died in it when it was just a few weeks old. See, Chevies will kill ya!

So back to the Ford vs Chevy deal:

I always enjoy a good fight! Where's the popcorn?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 02:01 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: You 2 are trying to start a Furd vs. Chebbie fight

Who's muddyless? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bronco II's are pieces, they don't count. Buying used 4x4's is all about luck... my brother's K5 made me never want to own a half ton Chebby... 10 bolt blew up, then sm465 tranny lost 3rd, then swapped in 700r4 blew up, then somehow the engine just lost 5 cylinders while the 700r4 was being rebuilt. The Yota he replaced it with was awesome, but the tranny wasn't up to mud use and 35" tires even behind the little 4 cylinder. The rear third member then got a crack and leaked out all the oil, causing a lockup on the highway. My neighbor's Yota on 31's lost it's auto tranny through not-so-hard use and right now its motor is being rebuilt, so I've kinda lost faith in Yotas as mud trucks. They make nice creepy crawlers but that's about it IMO. My dad's 98 Ram was a pos in 3 short years of hardcore driving to the office and grocery getting, and my buddy's ram charger has been sitting in the same place for 10 months and had 2 engines and 2 auto trannies in it so I avoid Chrysler like the plague. What's left? <font color="blue">FORD</font color>! Her tranny is odd but the old gal has held up pretty damn well through my 4 years of ownership, given the amount of hell I put her through! If it requires grease I've probably replaced it several times, but that's the name of the game when you're playing submarine [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I know more guys with FORDs than any other brand and the worst thing I've seen is a cracked transfer case extension/adapter, and the trannies and engines apparently run forever so I have been impressed to say the least [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Sometimes the electronics act goofy but they always seem to get us back home [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Well that was a long narrative of my experience with trucks... for the most part it has to do with owner maintenance but sometimes it seems certain trucks just suck from the factory [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Broncos are just badass, but maybe the Blazer will work out for you [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode