Is something fishy here? XLNT 72 C20 for $3500? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Is something fishy here? XLNT 72 C20 for $3500?

I went car shopping today and stopped by this locked yard in a neighborhood that has a 72 Chevy Long bed 4x4, custom front bumper, Warn Winch, warn super duty (think that's what they're called ) hubs, 8 lug diffs (3/4 ton?), body work done, no rust, primered and ready to paint, new interior. 350 engine, 350 tranny. It was converted to propane, but with the flip of an electrical switch you can go to either one. Has a 50 gallon propane tank, and dual gas tanks.

There were some minor problems, probably fuses. Head lights didn't work, tail lights didn't work, but turn signals did work.

Tranny was bone dry and the radiator was low. No battery, hadn't been started in months. He brought a battery out and some fluids, started it up no problem, and everything seemed to work. He said he recently had hte tranny rebuilt but it seems kinda fishy b/c it was bone dry and there is no inspection plate on it.

Either way, this thing is a beast and he's asking $3500. It's sat for months and I may be able to steal it for a miserly $2500.

Here's the catch. It was originally an American vehicle, but was taken into Mexico. I'll have to re-import it. I called Customs and the DMV, they said it all checked out and everything was clear. I need to take the paperwork to Customs, they'll right me a letter. Take the letter and the truck to the DMV, pay $50.00 for an inspection and I'm on the road.

Anyhow, this is my dream truck, except for the long bed maybe. The first vehicle I ever owned was a 72 long bed 2 wheel drive. I'm pretty stoked.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it apparently came loaded from the factory. AC, all the gauges, rear-sliding window. The owner had started to restore the interior and stopped about half way through the heater/ac controls, but everything is there. The tailgate is missing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Is something fishy here? XLNT 72 C20 for $3500?

I'd have the guy produce some kind of paperwork on the tranny rebuild. It seems strange that it would be dry so soon, unless there is something wrong.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I doubt very seriously that he has any paperwork on it because of the type of operation he runs. There are like 3 or 4 different shops running out of the same yard and this guy does upholstery. That's just how things work down here, they probably did some work on it (not a rebuild) at cost and he probably did some work for them.

Either way, he told me to take it to Camp Washington, which is an off road trail that's about 25 miles long or so. So I'd definitely have an opportunity to find out exactly how it works.

Anybody know anything about propane? Hank Hill, you there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Is something fishy here? XLNT 72 C20 for $350

i would say that unless you work for a propane company and can get an emploee discount, stick with gasoline, i havn't seen many carborated propaine engines but the fuel injected ones don't like propane. power wise, gasoline gives you more kick. safety wise, danm tanks are indistructible, just wach the valves, (took an accord right below the valves on a straight truck, paint damage). removal wise, toss the tank, fill the gas tanks and flip the switch. also propane burns hotter, so if you want to run popane make sure you get the right spark plugs and wires, not sure about the gap or timing. worst case scenario, youll have a mobile bbq tank [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 10:54 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, a 72 is a hard find. As long as the body is solid it'd bring more than that here. The fact that it has AC brings even more money.

It doesn't cost much to convert to propane. The main difference is the timing. Timing on a propane motor is pretty much static. It's simple and reliable. If they're willing to do it here in the great white north then it must be alright. You aren't going to get any asphalt-stacking horsepower out of it though.

If you can get it for $2500 and guaranteed to have a street legal vehicle for under $100 then I'd say go for it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

There's never any guarantees when it comes to the government! I have permission and verification from people, but who knows. That's why I'm gonna try and get the Customs part finished out before any money is given.

I may have to do some minor electrical work on the lights to get it street legal, but that's no biggie. I'm curious about the tranny, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

The A/C doesn't work, the blower motor doesn't blow. The guy said that the wiring and vac lines were all pulled out when they disassembled the truck. They never put it back together right.

Oh, it has the original AM radio, the kind without any buttons, just two little knobs.

Kewl lookin' truck really. I'll see what I can find out later this week.

I haven't been this stoked over a vehicle in a long time, if ever. It's my dream truck as far as a 4x4 truck goes!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

How much loss offroad with long bed vs Blazer?

While this may end up being a great find, it has some big question marks, which I'll look into. In the mean time I need to remind myself that I'm looking for a 4x4 that is very agile. I'm worried that a long bed may be a bit large..........

Any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode