'76 Blazer Steering. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'76 Blazer Steering.

And to conclude my trilogy of mechanical terror, I present
a steering problem.

I haven't experienced this firsthand, but my mother has... and I witnessed her tugging the wheel, so I believe her.

Basically, ever so rarely while doing a large broad turn, the steering seems to, uh, stop steering. You will be
going around a large arc, and suddenly the truck wants to go straight, and you need to compensate by turning harder.

This truck has 36" tires on it, and I've never had a simular problem in a car with a steering box, so it's my thought that it's either the rag joint or the steering box. Checking out the rag join looked fine during a nighttime impromptu vehicle inspection. And driving around in circles in the parking lot, I could not recreate the problem.

Any thoughts? If I need to put a new steering box on the truck, I'd like to get one of those steering box plates for reinforcing the frame (I heard that early Blazers have a tendency to try to push the steering box through the frame if you have large tires... I don't want that to happen). Who sells a steering box reinforcement plate?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'76 Blazer Steering.

As for the tugging problem, I can't help you, sorry.

The frame problem is indigenous to all 73-87 Chev/GMC Trucks/Blazers. Most common on the Blazers/Jimmys and half tons.

Frame Braces:

Bolt-in Steering Box Brace Kit and Weld-in Frame Repair kit from Off-Road Design
STEERING BOX GUSSET KIT from Autofab
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

How sloppy is your steering box? If you've got sloppy steering it can be the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 06:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The steering doesn't feel sloppy to me, but this is the first Blazer I've owned.

It does have squeaky belts when cutting the wheel hard
at low speeds. But at the speed that the steering got "funny" that shouldn't have been an issue. The roadway was smooth and the wheel already turned... my mother didn't let go, but the truck seemed to.

Any thoughts on where a steering box can be had for cheap?
I plan on keeping this for awhile, so I'm not afraid of replacing things. I have some spare steering boxes from other projects (big '60s and '70s cars), does the Blazer box interchange with any car steering boxes?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 11:22 PM

The sterring box does not intercange. A 4wd one goes fornt to back all the others go right to left. When it stoped wanting to turn for your mom did the belt start squelling if so the belt is losse or shot. It also sounds like the frame may all ready be craked and cousing this condition.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 06:36 PM
HYBRIDBLAZER

Did you check the power steering fluid? It seems to me if the belts are loose, therefore squealing, or if the fluid is low, also creates a whining and/or squealing, it could cause a momentary lose of power steering, requireing more effort to hold in a turn.

Just my opinion. Maybe way off, but is easy to check and doesn't cost anything to check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode