To K5 or not to K5? That is the question. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To K5 or not to K5? That is the question.

Hey guys and gals. I'm a long time reader and a first time poster. And since I know I'm in a realm of greatness, I think youfolks can helpme out a little. I'm contemplating to purchase of a K5 blazer with FI. So pretty much '87-91. I was just curious if any of you that own one or a pickup just like them, how they run in the snow and sand? I plan on taking it down to Mammoth for lots of snowboarding and to pismo for sand blasting. I had a '76 3/4 ton pu a little while ago, but it was in pretty bad shape, so I had to give her up. Anyway,any help and/or guidance would help out a ton.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:15 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Re: To K5 or not to K5? That is the question.

Mmmmm K5, wish I had a K5...

They are the perfect all purpose vehicle if you don't need a pickup bed for hauling. If you don't want to go extreme or anything, even better, slap a short lift on it and some 33's and you have a great vehicle.

As for pismo, I recall that on CK5, that it was advised to go for a soft top to keep weight lower, and lock it up, maybe some fatty tires.

Anyway go for it, if you dont want huge tires you won't have to go down the snowball road of mods, so it will be a good time to be had by all, err something....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have and still am considering buying a k5 and putting my 1-ton gear and drivetrain in and putting its drivetrain in my shortbox and selling it. To me and for what I do a K5 would better suit me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 11:09 AM
wrobel

i love my k5. i beat on her, she beats on me. we have a working relationship. if i leave her messy, she burns more oil than usual, so i try to keep her clean and happy. bone stock too, i added the dents in the hood to try and make it more aerodynamical [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] she wouldn't let the hood latch go, so i had to persuade her with my tire iron. but we made up, and she burned 3 quarts of oil last night/this morning just to prove who's boss.

i'll drive a k5 anyday [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 06:53 PM
LowGearMonster

I used to have a 74 K5. But I was too lazy to drop an engine in it and sold it. It only had one lemon sized hole in the body and no rust and a flat. I've regretted doing that every day since. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my dad has an 89 k-5 stock with the sm465. the truck is great, i drive it a lot.. rotate between that and my tahoe. the k-5 is great in the snow and mud (even tho it has only seen mud once, my friend got really stuck and my dad and i went to pull him out). but the k-5 is great, take the top off and drive around.. people don't know what it is 9got out of a ticket because the cop said ti was a pickup, went to court with the top and on and asked what the judge thought and i got off for tech.) so if i were u, i would go look for a nice clean k-5 with almost no rust, hard to find with no rust. i have a few pics of it on my site check it out if u want
www.angelfire.com/nj4/americanbuilt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got my Jimmy, so it's not a bowtie. But there's really no difference anyway.
I love mine, spent hours and hours, and lots of ca$h, but now it's what I want. And I'm rough with it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode