Breaking in: new gears & locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Breaking in: new gears & locker

this january i will be upgrading to 4.10 gears and a detroit locker. i was wondering what the proper procedure is for breaking in a new set of gears. i was also looking for any insight into do's and dont's while driving with a locker. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Breaking in: new gears & locker

Here is some break in info http://randysringandpinion.com/differentialcare.shtml. In my experience with the welded rear be care full not to flog it or let off too fast will on ice.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

thanks Matt, that is a really good site
what will letting off to fast on ice cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One time on ice I let off the gas with it locked in low gear and the back end got a bit loose. With a detroit might not have the prob since it may be unlocked then. Not really a big issue though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 03:49 PM
muddfred

With a Detroit Locker in the rear you get a pull to the right when you give it gass and a bigger pull to the left when you let off the gass fast ( or vice versa, I'm used to it and don't think about it that much ). It isn't as noticable with a auto as with a manual tranny, but it is still there. It takes a little to get used to it. Just don't let the gas off fast and you won't notice it much.
Another problem with a locker on ice is that it can be harder to turn since both rear wheels are pushing the same. On ice or in slippery mud the front tire can just skip or slide when turned. It's like on the 3 wheel ATCs, you turn the front forks and it keeps going straight, you have to lean to get some weight off a rear wheel to get it to turn.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, good point. When my front tires are on ice and my rears are on dry it is near imposible to turn. PLan on making a 3 point turn or something then. Also with the welded on teh sandy streets from ice covering I find it easier to just break the back end loose and slide around the corner a little thant going slow and chirping around. Funner too [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got a lockright locker and it will lock on sharp turns with throttle. I havnet noticed anything when I let off the gas yet.

it locks good when one tire has no traction and the other does. I hae heard bad things about them but I love mine. BEST bang for the buck!

but with the 10bolt, not replacing the carrier might be a bad I dea, but it will probly hold up to 35" tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode