Off Roading Forums banner

Breaking in: new gears & locker

507 views 6 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
this january i will be upgrading to 4.10 gears and a detroit locker. i was wondering what the proper procedure is for breaking in a new set of gears. i was also looking for any insight into do's and dont's while driving with a locker. thanks

G
#5 ·
With a Detroit Locker in the rear you get a pull to the right when you give it gass and a bigger pull to the left when you let off the gass fast ( or vice versa, I'm used to it and don't think about it that much ). It isn't as noticable with a auto as with a manual tranny, but it is still there. It takes a little to get used to it. Just don't let the gas off fast and you won't notice it much.
Another problem with a locker on ice is that it can be harder to turn since both rear wheels are pushing the same. On ice or in slippery mud the front tire can just skip or slide when turned. It's like on the 3 wheel ATCs, you turn the front forks and it keeps going straight, you have to lean to get some weight off a rear wheel to get it to turn.

G
#6 ·
yeah, good point. When my front tires are on ice and my rears are on dry it is near imposible to turn. PLan on making a 3 point turn or something then. Also with the welded on teh sandy streets from ice covering I find it easier to just break the back end loose and slide around the corner a little thant going slow and chirping around. Funner too

G
#7 ·
I just got a lockright locker and it will lock on sharp turns with throttle. I havnet noticed anything when I let off the gas yet.

it locks good when one tire has no traction and the other does. I hae heard bad things about them but I love mine. BEST bang for the buck!

but with the 10bolt, not replacing the carrier might be a bad I dea, but it will probly hold up to 35" tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.