rusty floor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:05 PM
tool

rusty floor

I'm closer than I have ever been to welding in the new floor pans into my 86 blazer. Here's the question.. I am replaceing the area just behind where the seats bolt to the floor (including where the seat mounts to the floor). The new piece of floor which I ordered from LMC is an exact replica. Do I fully remove the old rotted floor which does have "some" good metal in a few areas and weld the new floor in to the surronding metal, or do i plate the old floor with the new floor, and weld to it? How is this typically done? I'm extremely new to the world of rust repair! Any help is appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:14 PM

Re: rusty floor

im not sure if this is right or not, but i the way i see it and the way i did it, you have the entire new panel, why not put the whole thing in. ya know, you paid for it all, why use old. that and the old metal can have cancer in it and you just not see it yet.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 02:11 PM
tool

yeah I suppose that is a good point. I'm a little worried that if I remove what's left of the old floor, and weld in the new it might night be as strong as before. I guess I don't really understand the strength of a good weld just yet =) thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 03:36 PM

no problem, when you cut out the old floor, there are cross memmbers that will support the floor so as long as you dont cut those you should be fine
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 04:12 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Drey!? A good point!? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yeah, might as well have as much new metal as possible...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 05:21 PM
tool

it all seems logical to me. Thanks again for the help.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 06:14 PM
Mud in my Veins

Doing a body off resto? Herculine or something the whole underside. That way it doesn't come back.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 12:11 AM

after doing a whole body, I DETEST BONDO next time its rusting im throwing the bed in the scrap pile, buying new front fenders/ door skins and rezzybeding the back half, hey the trucks will look the same then [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 12:35 AM
tool

I'm not doing a complete body-of-frame restoration, but something similar. In the long run I should have ripped the body off and started with cleaning up the frame, working my way up. I do plan on useing hurculiner inside the truck. Is there any sort of underbody sealent in a can that is worth while?? I've heard nothing but bad things about underbody coating in a can, but it is still tempting to try. Also, another quick question. I'm replacing the body mounts with ORD poly mounts and a 1-inch ORD body lift.. should I do this after the new floor is put in front and rear or afterwards? Would it make a difference if I changed the body mounts out before the floor was completely sound?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 01:49 PM
Mud in my Veins

I'd say do it all in one shot at the same time, but it occurs to me that the floorboards might be a bit easier to work with if the body lift and poly mounts were on. Little more room to work with.

I've had good luck with the Duplicolor Asphault undercoating. Not the rubberized stuff. Personally, I'd just Herculine everything, top and bottom, inside and out. Undercoating isn't 100%. You do it correctly, the bedliner is.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode