Pulling the Bed and Welding my BROKEN FRAME ????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Pulling the Bed and Welding my BROKEN FRAME ?????

My 84 Ranch truck has revolted in the last two weeks. Started with a heater core, then fuel pump, then HEI Coil went out in the middle of feeding hay at 6AM on a 15 degree morning. Now, I'm working on the trailer wiring and discover that the frame is broke on two out of three sides of the frame right above and in front of the axle, just ahead of the mount that holds the brake lines and the rod that runs to the front of the rear end. So.....Since the cows have enough hay for the next couple of days and I'm on duty at the Firehouse Sunday, I better get a quick plan going on how to make this repair. My plan is to pull the bed, weld the frame brake up and then box the frame in that area. My questions for you guys are how long will it take me to pull the bed? Any hints or suggestions on pulling the bed AND any hints or suggestions on welding the frame.

Thanks for the help

John in Oklahoma

Thanks for all the tips, we pulled the bed this morning, took about 2 hours, I have a couple extra cables to power my hay spear that we had to deal with. We also wasted time trying to undo the gas tank fillers before realizing they did not have to be removed. Cleaned up the break, cut some patches and welded them on. Some of the welds looked great but some looked like crap so I skipped the pictures. I will attempt to post pictures of us pulling the bed and the break.

John the Rancer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 981226-Framebreak.JPG (37.0 KB, 45 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 03:43 PM

Re: Pulling the Bed and Welding my BROKEN FRAME ?????

When Pulling the bed, have a guy underneath to undo the bolts then hit them with a hammer up, and a guy in the bed to pull up the bolts.
i found a good way to lift the bed, is to get a tractor with a loader right behind the truck. Then where the holes in the bed rails are, run bolts through the holes in them, and hook log chaings on to the bolts, then just lift it up with the loader. we set my bed on a old running gear, although if you have 2 or 3 sterdy saw horses that would work too.
welding the fram your on your own, all i know is that to much heat will weaken it all together. I would try welding straps to the frames or something to stregthen it all the more, actually if it was my truck i would take it to a welding shop, it will cost alot, but at least you will know its been done right
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 05:29 PM

ok let's get to the welding,get 1/4 plate and cut them to the shape of the frame about a foot past the breaks and use
a 7014 drag rod and weld the outer edge of the plate.next
when you have gotten this done,go to the inside of the frame
rail and turn down the welder and weld the inside of the frame
at the cracks and you will be set to feed until the cow's come home.i don't get paid to weld,but i have had to do this on alot of yoto's and they have not rebroke in years.oh forgot blow the holes for your brake lines in the plate.and have the back of the truck jacked up to stress the frame at the point of the breaks to close the cracks,pm me if you need any thing else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 05:35 PM

Re: Pulling the Bed and Welding my BROKEN FRAME ??

Well. for the bed, what they said sounds good...for the frame, take a wire brush and clean up the area around the cracks really good so you can see all of them...now take a grinder and grind the cracks into a groove so that the weld will be deeper and will hold better, and when you grind it flat you wont be grinding the whole weld away. Then grind it flat and paint so it wont rust.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 01:01 PM

This method worked for my buddie's mud truck :

They cut the frame down 11" in the middle of the truck and this works too.

They cleaned the area good and grinded a groove along the break. They welded it with a 110 Wire feed argon welder with maximum voltage, then grinded the welds smooth. They then clamped two pieces of 3/8" steel to the frame, about 15" long, one on inside and one outside. They then drilled 4 holes on each side of the weld and bolted the plates together, sandwiching the weak part of the frame and completely reinforcing it.

This is a mud truck fix but if it can hold up to jumping it in their field, flexing through ruts in the mud, and their heavy feet on the gas peddle, it should hold for you. Finish the job with paint also.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 08:43 PM

I would do what he said, but then weld that plate on also
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 09:35 PM

The reason that you should not weld the plate is that may do more harm than good. If you are weary about the strength, more bolts or thicker plates are better ideas. The reason of the bolting plates is to support the weak area, welding them on wont help much if at all.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 11:23 AM

If you weld all the way around, yeah its going to make it weaker. If you do it in a few places though, it should keep the plate from moving around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode