Bulding a 400 for my K-5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bulding a 400 for my K-5

I'm in the process of having a 400 built for my '85 K-5. I am looking for advice on what components to pick for it(i.e.distributor, headers, carb., cam, etc.) I'm really looking for torque but it has to be a daily driver. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bulding a 400 for my K-5

don't have much advise for building up here but I will tell you my basically bone stock (minus headers and air cleaner) 400sbc is pretty awesome. Good Choice. 454 next baby
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 08:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've built a few SBC 400's. I would first recommend keeping the compression ratio to about 9:1. I'm not a big fan of the stock SBC 400 connecting rod [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], but if your on a tight budget the SBC 400 rods are OK for about 4500 RPM's of limited use [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. The 400 works well with a mild RV cam of about .450 / .450 lift [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Headers help out a SBC 400 performance, but the headers are not for everyone. Headers tend to have gasket problems, and add extra heat under the hood. A good 3" single exhaust system with the factory cast iron is a good option for a SBC 400.

There are several good aftermarket intake manifold and distributors. Performance Distributors http://www.performancedistributors.com offer a good RV/street distributor if your budget can afford it. I'd suggest using the Edelbrock http://www.edelbrock.com Air Gap PERFORMER intake manifold (part # 2601), but check your local emission laws. The Edelbrock Air Gap PERFORMER (part # 2601) does not have an EGR valve, or a heat crossover.
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 10:59 AM
Rodzzilla

Might check into the Vortec heads. They are a good way to boost the compression ratio. Be sure to drill the steam holes in the heads. My brother slapped a set on a stock one and added a Comp 4X4 Xtreme 262 (462/480 Lift). Woke the old girl up. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'd go to a 5.7 or a 6" Rod if you can afford it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode