O/T - As If a Dodge wasnt bad enough... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

O/T - As If a Dodge wasnt bad enough...

Well my main 4x4ing buddy Andrew, went and bought himself a 85 F-150, for a shop project he claims, when he damn well knows he bought it to piss me off [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img], paid $400 but it will only go 45 the first two gears only work on the Auto tranny, so hes putting a new on in, or rebuilding the old one
His Dodge -

ya just thought you guys would like to here my gripe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 12:42 AM

Re: O/T - As If a Dodge wasnt bad enough...

So what? Its a Ford, my friend has an 86 F150 and no matter how hard he raps those dual glasspacks he can't climb like my Samurai. Go show him what you can do.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 08:53 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, and with his S10. haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

well i know my S-10 can beat it in a race cuz the ford will only go 45 [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] yeah this truck has new chrome rims, CB, Steps, dual exhaust, and a bunch of new parts on the motor, although the tires are ****ty as hell i believe he said, hopefully i can talk him into some 31s or 32s, heck if it is SFA he could lift it and go 33s. Im not sure of what years they used TTB and i hear that is expensive to lift currectly
but there is a benefit to this truck though, itll be back like when we go with our fourwheelers, we both beat the [bleep] out of them, he never would wheel his Ram very hard. yeah, hopefully the next time we go wheeling it will be at his house and i can get a picture of it TRYING to climb stuff, lol
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 05:55 PM
Mud in my Veins

What's wrong with his Dodge? Modern solid axle truck with a fuel injected V8. Doesn't require massive amounts of body work to fix and actually gets decent (for a fullsize V8 powered 4x4 truck) mpg.

His Ford will have TTB. They used it from 1980-1996 in the F150's and F250's. Should fit 32's stock if the coil springs haven't sagged to bad. The key to the TTB lifts are making sure the axle pivot brackets are of good quality and hopefully have a bigger mounting surface than the stock ones, and putting longer radius arms on. I've heard that the Dick Cepek 4" and 6" TTB lifts are the best for the fullsize TTB trucks. www.PerformanceLifts.com TTB can do some good stuff when all the bushings are good and the lift is setup properly:

This is a TTB Ranger with the Skyjacker Class II 6" lift and 33's. He has 14" of travel up front, with a bolt on lift kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 977439-FlexyRangerwithSkyjacker.jpg (64.2 KB, 29 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

i really dont have much of a problem with his Dodge, he just treats it way to nice for a farm pickup, before the Ram he had a 91 chevy we beat to snot, then he got a 96 chevy, totalled that in a rollover, so then he got a $16000 Ram. Of course i would prolly baby a truck like that too, if i ever buy one like that. So i dont mean to Bash on His Ram, AJM i know you have one too so no offense to your truck either. its just the old standard, im a chevy man

when i was talking about the TTB its the fact you just cant throw in longer coils. I was in a heated debate with a friend about this 2 weeks ago actaully, he has a 83 or 84 F-150 i beleive, he is going to lift it, and he said that he was just gonna get longer coils in the front, yet i was under the impression on a Ford TTB the Camber angles are set in place and cannot be changed. Which by installing longer coils would cause the outer edge of the tire to wear much faster then the inner edge. Am i right, Joe wasnt sure about it either, but i was 70% sure, i saw Trucks TV lift a Ranger with TTB one time and they said that, although it was a 2wd Ranger so i wasnt 100% sure.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 10:09 PM
Mud in my Veins

Eh, I can honestly say I understand his reluctance to beat the snot out of something he still owes a 5 digit figure on. A friend's friend recently rolled his nearly new F150 down a hill while playing around in the mountains of Pennsylvania.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Thing was brand new, he hadn't made the first payment yet. Talk about your WORST nightmare.[img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Yeah, you pretty much have to keep the axle pivot brackets in the same place lifted as they were relative to the stock setup. You see a lot of those trucks driving around stock with worn out springs and busings, and the tires are all canted inwards because of basically, the opposite. Lifting it with just springs but not dropping the axle pivot brackets would be a no no. TTB can be a great setup if you lift it right. If you don't, it's a nightmare.

Take a peek at some of the stuff over at www.autofab.com. They don't drop the axle pivot brackets, they make custom bent axle beams. Good [bleep], but $$$$.[img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I saw some of their work in person when I lived out there in San Diego. Nice.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

gotta love that, i remember seeing a bronco in Petersons 4x4 and off-road that had the axle beams like that, ya when andrew wrecked his 96 silverado he had been driving it for 2 months [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode