Where do you mount your Maglite? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Where do you mount your Maglite?

I've had my 5 cell Maglite sitting loose behind my seat for about a year now. I never mounted it because it was too big to mount vertically and I'd have to mount it too low horizontally. The 5 cell makes a better baseball bat than a flashlight anyway. It was a gift, I'd never bought it if it were me.

Anyway, I've got a pair of 2 D-cell flashlights I'd like to mount somewhere easily accessible. My first thought was like how my Dad mounted his 3 D-cells on his 89, mount them next to the seat by the door. However, I've learned that it's an excellent spot to put my foot when I climb in and out of my truck through the bed.

My first though was to mount them on the door. However, I can't choose a spot. If I mount it towards the front it'll be in my way when I'm in the truck and if I do it towards the back it'll be in my way when I'm getting in and out. If I mount it high in the front it'll be in the knee area and low it'll be in the foot area.

Another thought was to do it in front of the seat on that piece of raised metal but I tuck one foot behind once in a while plus I do keep junk under the seat.

I also contemplated mounting one under the glovebox like a lot of other people have but that piece of metal is really wimpy. Plus, it's in the knee area.

I'd rather put them behind the seat than on the hump.

Got any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 04:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Where do you mount your Maglite?

mine usually sites between the t-case plastic thing and the front of the seat and works pretty good.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 05:37 PM

mines sits in my seat cover, it has one of those little pockets all the way across the front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 09:39 PM
Addict

how bout overhead where the dome light is or just behind the mirror pointed forward or backward so it's not in the way of the visor ..... in my S-10 I have a 5 cell in the door pouch and In my 77 i have a split bench from a newer chev and i jam a 5 cell between the seats and finally on the dune bug there is still a five cell duct tapes to the roll bar from the time we went down a hill that was WAY too steel and slid all the way dwn and busted both headlights on the trees at the bottom ... hmmmm got it you need a rollbar in your truck to tape your mag too [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 05:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i have the same size.....mine sits in the crotch of the seat, and then your body holds it down. you dont notice it , except for winter mornings, and it is easily accessible.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 06:27 AM

heres where i put mine...its really accesible and not in the way of putting stuff under the seat or hitting my feet.

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

After making a fake Maglite out of cardboard and taping it in all your guys' suggestions... I listened to none of you. Especially you Matt. haha. I ain't got no floor covering so my Maglite would launch the first time I pulled out of my driveway.

I tried:
On a bench seat, the bottom piece of frame. In the way.
On the floor under the front of the seat. In the way. Can't get junk from under the seat easy enough.
On the area by the seat where I like to step when I don't want to go wading in the water.
Where "oh sh*t" handles would go. My cerebelum didn't much care for that position.
In the middle of the roof. Too far out of reach for short people.
On the hump. Too far away, especially on the driver's side.
Kickpanels. I don't have an emergency brake pedal but it's still too close to my feet.
Under the steering column and under the glovebox. I like my knees.
Behind the seat. I hate behind the seat because if you've got a passenger they either have to play kissyface with the windshield or you have to be a contortionist.

My solution: The doors. I can only foresee one problem with this: bulbs not liking the abuse. Surprisingly, they don't seem to be in the way of getting in and out.

I don't know how to fix them so it isn't overexposed.

Driver door:

And since it's just mounted in the same spot on the passenger door:
http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl..._passenger.jpg
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 09:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

well wrath i see no reply involving the crotch of the seat method. i am going to take it that you loved this idea and want to adopt it over the door mount. everyone can reach it there.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Sadly enough, that's where my 5 cell used to spend a lot of its time. It was fine and dandy until a passenger came along.

Plus, I have a new rule. It has to be bolted down if it's in the cab.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good rule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode