87 Blazer my NEW TOY - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

87 Blazer my NEW TOY

Been listening on the side a few days and trying to read as many of the old threads as possible, to keep from asking too many dumb questions. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

But I can see that is gonna take awhile so here goes...

The kids are grown and on their own and it's time for Ole Dad to get a new toy. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I bought an 87 Blazer from the city auction ($875), 305 EFI, open Corporate 10 bolts (3.08) fore and aft, 700R4 and except for the A/C pretty stripped down.

So far I have put on 31x10.50 Goodrich ATs and a new paint job (had to do something about the ugly pealing saddle tan orginal paint, left over city sticker goop, and the rocker panels and rear fenders that had begun to rust out).

I plan to 'build up' eventually, but need to keep pretty mild for now as it will be my daily driver until I can find a replacement for my tired '75 K10. Probably will work out though as I am still going through my new toy and fixing all the little nits I am finding.

Which brings me to my question, 'bout time huh ? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Got a bit of front shimmy from about 35 mph to 45 mph, I have pretty much ruled out tires (new) and u joints (replaced rears and fronts seem fine).

I found (what seems to me) a bit too much play in the slip joint of front driveshaft and was about to start scouting for a new one when I read a similar thread and one of ya''ll asked the person if his steering wheel was straight.

The thread stops there (maybe they lost intrest) but I have noticed mine is about 90 degress too far to the right when going straight, (enough to block view of spedo). Is this the symptom of another problem I should look into that could be causing the shimmy? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 87 Blazer my NEW TOY

might check your TRE and ball joints. The steering wheel is easy to correct, just get the tires straigh, loosen teh 2 bolts on teh draglink and rotate the sleeve till teh wheel is straight then tighen 2 bolts. Make sure you can turn both directions equal. I did it the wrong direct and once got teh wheel centered I could only turn right. Rotated 360* and was good. Normally after flexing up and stuff the wheel won't sit straight. Best fix would be to do crossover style steering.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats a fine year! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Are you sure it's a 305? I thought all 87's came with FI 350's. Should be a sticker above the grill that shows 5.7 but I could be wrong.

Chances are one of your steering components is bad. Any alignment shop should be able to diagnose it for you. Sounds like it really need one or the rag joint is 180 off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I will look a bit closer when the rain stops, kind of wet under the old shade tree right now.

>just get the tires straigh, loosen teh 2 bolts on teh draglink
>and rotate the sleeve till teh wheel is straight then tighen 2
>bolts

You do this with the front up on jackstands or setting on the ground?

>Best fix would be to do crossover style steering.

Been reading about the cross over steering, if I can get all the parts together, that and the steering box brace will probably be my first project.

Thanks for the help...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pretty sure, it says 5.0 on the emission decal and the eighth digit of the VIN is a H which I have been told means 5.0.

Read somewhere that it makes nearly the same torque as the 5.7, just a bit less horsepower and is a tad better on gas.

Don't know about all that but this is my first fuel injected truck and I think I am in love. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Is that your Blazer I have been reading about on the off-road.com site.

Now that is one fine TRUCK [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think you're right. Some Blazers did come with the 305 TBI. Mine came with the 350 TBI. For some reason, I thought they stopped making the 305 in 86 but I'm wrong. Still a great engine.

Yes, thats my money pit that I've been working on since 91...

Thanks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

basically pull up to your work area with the tires and truck straight then loosen bolts and adjust. No need for jacks because you are leaving the tires straight but rotationg the steering box which in turn rotates the steering wheel
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 04:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gottcha...thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode