miltary blazer ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 11:39 PM
77rigid

miltary blazer ???

I am going to look at a military Blazer(????).It is an 1985.It has a 6.2 diesel engine,auto tranny,He is not sure on gears but said it seems kinda kinda low(3.73 or lower).I am wanting to know what to look for to tell if it is a military Blazer or not.Will there be something on the title to look for.I am wanting this to be my tow rig.It will need to pull 1 or maybe 2 CJ-7's on a tandem axle trailer.I am hoping it will be a good choice for a tow rig.If not someone let me know.What equipment came standard on those Blazers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 11:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: miltary blazer ???

It's just a mid 80's half ton K5 with the 6.2L NA diesel and a TH400 non-OD tranny. One Jeep that doesn't weigh a lot, you can probably tow it pretty easily. Two Jeeps, no way. You'd need at least a LWB 3/4 ton for that. You need more power (which is the least of the concerns), a longer wheel base, a bigger rear axle than that GM 10 bolt rear, and much bigger brakes.

Do a search for CUCV Blazer on the forums to find out more about them. We've hashed the subject over VERY often, rather recently to I think.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:02 AM
77rigid

What is CUCV???? Also the trailer will have brakes on 1 axle.I said 2 CJ-7's because you never know when a buddies jeep may brake down.It would normally be just 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:57 AM
Mud in my Veins

It's to late for me to think correctly, but it's a military term. Something like Civilian Utility Contract Vehicle or something like that. Do the search, you'll come up with it in there.

If you JUST need a tow vehicle and really want a good one, I'd say wait for a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. If you want something that can tow and maybe go run some trails with, the K5 would work with mods. If you plan on towing 2 vehicles safely, don't go with the K5. Just not long enough.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 08:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you should go with atleast 3/4 or 1-ton. dont think the blazer will cut it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 12:59 PM

AJM was close, the second "C" is for Cargo.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 01:04 PM
Mud in my Veins

"Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle" according to <a href=http://www.jed.simonides.org/transport/mike-numbers/cucv_series/cucv-series.html>this page</a>, which seems pretty competent
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 06:17 PM

acronymfinder.com

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 04:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

The CUCV is actually a 3/4 ton K5 Blazer. It has the same running gear as the 3/4 trucks. To make sure it is military, there should be blackout running lights in the front and rear bumpers (small cat-eye looking things, red and white). There should also be a pintle hook on the rear, and tie down clevis' at all four corners.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 05:56 PM

Actually the blazers have the half ton running gear(ten bolts), so they are just a diesel K5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode