Clutch Pedal Linkage Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Clutch Pedal Linkage Questions

My 84 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 ranch truck has lots of play in the clutch throw, both in and out as well as an inch or so side to side at the pedal. This seems to be in the greasable shaft, none is between the clutch adjuster and clutch. I am sure this is from 18 years of hauling round bales in from pasture and then out in the winter to feed (lots & lots of clutching) So....heres the question. Has anyone replaced any of the linkage to thighten this up? Do you get the parts aftermarket or from GM? Thanks for the help

John

Oklahoma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Clutch Pedal Linkage Questions

I am not sure about stock clutches, as for easier you should look to a after market Hydralic clutch system. I wish I had done that on my racecar but I made ALL of my linkage and wished like hell I spent the extra money for the hydralic clutch kit [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 10:31 PM

I believe that is a very common problem for the old chev manual clutch linkages.

The rod which connects from inside the cab to the bell crank wears on both contact surfaces, The nub(? teh piece sandwhiched between the two jam nuts) on the adjuster rod wears out like the upper rod does, and the bell crank itself gets worn out at the ball/socket joints.

It may bedifficult to find clutch linkages at the wrecker that are not worn similarily to yours (and mine), but they're out there. And you should be able to just replace it all.

Hope that helps, I'm not sure if you can get these parts from GM anymore, or if guys like LMC Truck would have it.

Anyone?

Anyone got a link to those heim-jointed rods for GM clutches???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:38 AM

you need to take the rods off and check to see if they are worn or worn half into at the retaining pin holes and if they are
just take and weld the cuts back up and put them back on the truck as for the pedal there should be plastic bushings
on the pedal mounting bolt that holds it under the dash and
if not then you will need to replace them or replace the pedal
the rods wearing is normal on all standards and we just weld them and never worryabout it again,if you need the pedal
let me know i think i still have the whole pedal setup out in the back yard some where and i should have all the rods and
check your swivel ball mounts between the frame and the motor they wear out a lot.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just saw in one of the mags they are starting to make heim joint kits for the older non hydro setups. Be the way to go if you plan on wheeling it hard since most come loose when twisted.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello, I replaced the shaft from the pedals to outside of the truck. I bought it at the dealer. I can't remember the price, but it wasn't that bad. My pedals were also wore, so that I had side to side movement. I pulled the long bolt that holds the pedals to the bracket and slid a washer in place. It's been working good so far after a year. It's alittle squeaky though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode