jacks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 09:55 AM
tool

jacks

I'm interested in buying a good set of jack stands, along with a floor jack. I don't know what's good, and what is pure sh!t. I obviously want something that's capable of supporting my blazer. What do you guys use? Any place to find good deals? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 10:05 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: jacks

woah. you don't live too far away. more of dem dere yoopers on ORC.

Find a jack that lifts as high as you want it to. A regular 2 ton floor jack is only good for tires up to 33". For jack stands, find ones that have the tallest base possible for your application. The taller the base the less you have to extend the adjustable height part which means it's more stable. I, myself, like the ratcheting kind but my Dad likes the pin type. His are probably more stable.

For both, the wider the better.

I only use my wimpy 2 ton jack and 5 ton jack stands because I don't want to ruin my 3 ton jack and the stands of unknown rating that are still in their boxes. I don't have any flat surfaces that are level to use them on. My jack is sprung and one of my stands is as well. Even the asphalt isn't level.

I live in Houghton/Hancock so all we have is Shopko and Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart should be having a sale on 2 ton jack and stand kits any time now. K-Mart used to put them on sale this time of the year for ~$40.

If you want expensive, visit your local sears and get a real jack. Never go under 3 ton if you're getting a real jack. I'd aim for 4 tons and 25" of lift.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 11:29 AM

Your blazer is definitely over 4000lbs (2ton),
its not worth the risk to save a little money. Buy
a quality jack of a rating of at least 3 tons. I got
craftsman high lift SUV jack, 3 ton, and 2 stands for $100.
It has worked great, except the head on it is a little small.
Its holiday sale time, so keep your eyes peeled when looking
at the sears adds, and you should find a good deal.
Just make sure you get the high lift version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 12:15 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I don't know about you, but I know each corner of my truck doesn't weigh 4000lbs. If it did, my wheels would fail. Most aluminum wheels are only good for 2000lbs and most steel wheels are rated for 2250 or 2500lbs. That means either of them would be junk the first time you slid down a hill sideways.

A 2 ton jack is more than enough to lift one tire at a time on anybody's daily driver on this forum. Trying to lift two tires with one jack is just plain stupid (a gust of wind or some shmuck leans against it and not only will the jack be ruined but who knows what else under the truck).

He lives in Escanaba. I'm willing to bet his local store is an "independent authorized dealer" in which not a lot of sales go on in. It's not going to be like the mall where you get killer deals. Of course, I could be wrong since I haven't been to Escanaba even though it's not that far away.

I agree, a 3 or 4 ton is a lot better. The 2.5 tons aren't worth buying though. I'd look for a wide one with a quick-raise feature.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 04:34 PM
tool

well first off.. let me clear my name.. I'm not originally from the U.P. so I'm not sure if I'm still labeled as a yooper or not. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Either way, it doesn't change the fact that I do live in the middle of no-where. Thanks for the info, some good tips. I'll spend some money to get some good stuff. I don't feel like being crushed by over 2 tons of metal. Thanks again for the input!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 04:47 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, I'm a transplant as well. I'm originally from the Lansing-Flint area downstate. It's funny how virtually no one from the UP goes to Tech but all of us Wisconsin, Minnesota, and LP people go there.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 05:23 PM

I used the same argument about lifting one wheel when
i was going to buy a 2 ton jack, but everyone else here
reccomended i get a jack that is capable of lifting the whole
truck, even if you never will lift it all at once.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 07:18 PM
Mud in my Veins

As dhcomp said, and I myself did, Sears often has a deal where you can get their full 3 ton jack and two 3 ton jackstands for $99. I'm sure there's at least a Sears in Escanaba. It's been over a decade since I was in Escanaba, but it wasn't THAT small of a place. Overkill at a good price.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Besides, what's to say the next vehicle isn't a Suburban or 1 ton long bed or something else really heavy.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 11:09 PM
tool

I live about an hour outside of escanaba, but yes I do believe there is a sears, so I'll have to keep my eye on it for deals. My dad has an 88 diesel 1-ton that he uses as a plow truck... I'd do anything to own that truck. It certianly isn't pretty, but rugged to the point of insanity. dana60, 14ff, np205, and a th400. So my point is, someday when I DO OWN that truck, I'll need a jack to lift it. I'll buy as much of a jack as the wallet allows [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I appreciate the help!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 11:05 AM
96Chevysfa

i just ordered some jack stands and a jack of www.harborfreight.com, they have freee freight. they have a HD 2.5 ton high lift jack that lifts to about 32", i bought one of those, i also got 4 12 ton jack stands. i know its a ltitle overkill, but the price was good [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode