Cab/frontclip swap or driveline swap??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Cab/frontclip swap or driveline swap???

I may have the chance to get a 84 1/2T 4x4 lwb with good cab(all it needs is cab corners) and front clip for a couple hundred bucks [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] . The truck is basically complete minus box and motor. The cab still has all the wiring, but is missing a door. Cab was automatic, but apparently has the hump I need for my standard tranny. The catch is the truck was broken into in the yard and had the tags stolen.

My body is toast. I have a logger box to replace the box but I am in need of the cab and front clip.

My question: What snags will I run into putting an automatic 84 cab/clip on a 78 frame?? Is this going to be worth the hassle or should I hold out for a cab that has tags and setup for a standard tranny?

To solve the tag problem I either need to swap my tags onto the new cab (possible??), or go to the DMV and get a new vin nuumber (requires motor vehicle inspection which will cost me $$$).

Or will it be easier to put my drivetrain underneath this cab on the 1/2T frame???

I'm going to look at it on saturday, but I was hoping to get some advice of GM gurus here.

Which way should I go???

Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Cab/frontclip swap or driveline swap???

The cabs should interchange pretty easily. Just cut out the pre-indentation on the hump for the manual shifter. Transfer your pedals over and it should work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't worry about swapping from auto to manual stuff, it is just a few holes to cut in the floor, and swapping the pedal assembly out of your old cab (this requires removing steering column and brake booster, but not a big deal). As far as the tags, I believe the older (pre 1980) ones were on the drivers doorpost and the newer ones are in the uppper left corner of the dash, behind the windshield. I wouln't worry too much about getting a new VIN since you have the rest of yuor original truck with clear title, and the cops probably won't care or know the diff between a 78 and an 84. The wiring plug in for taillghts is different (changed in 1980, I believe) but if you are swapping boxes anyway it shoudn't matter. Just make sure the truck isn't stolen or somethinh and that's why the tags are gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Okay guys, thanks for the information. This deal sounds almost too good to pass up since I should be able to get the truck for about 200 bucks. Then I could sell the 10 bolt diffs for 100 bucks for the pair, and then the 700r4/208 combo for another hundred bucks to break even. And I'm still left with a frame which I could chop and turn into a trailer with one of the 14bolts i have.

Glad that the auto-manual swap isn't that bad, I'm not to concerned with time, but the money that I'll have to spend to get all the latemodel bits and bolts when I need them..

I'll let you guys know what it really looks like after I go see it tommorow. But if this all turns out I'm finally going to have a rust free truck !!!!!

Thanks again.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 07:26 PM
Mud in my Veins

Why put a perfectly good 14FF under a trailer when you can put a 10 bolt down there?[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 07:48 PM

<font color="blue">Maybe to run the same tire/rim combo so you can have 1 or 2 spares that will work on bith the truck and trailer. </font color>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 08:11 PM
Mud in my Veins

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted that, but man, even as common as 14FF's are, I'd do something like put 8 studs in the 10 bolt's shafts and drill out 8 holes in the drums first.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] No power going to it, and unless you wanna get REALLY technical, you won't be using the brakes. You can get $150 for a 14FF pretty easily.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 09:59 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'd do something like put 8 studs in the 10 bolt's shafts and drill out 8 holes in the drums first

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">If I really wanted to get nitpicky I'd say that you could prolly use a front 10botl that was already 8lug. (If the spring perchs were correct anyhow.) If you could figure out how to not make it turn [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. (I'm thinking lots of welding rod may be the only way. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) Ya know now I;ve goten myself thinking. Whould normal road forces make the wheels turn if none of the usal linkage and stuff was hooked up? That is the axle is just kinda there for the ride like a normal trailer axle. Ahh things to think about before I go to sleep [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].</font color>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 11:02 PM
Mud in my Veins

By turn do you mean turn as in steering, or turn as in round and round tires/wheels moving?

I figure if there was no steering linkage hooked up, the knuckles/tires/etc would just turn back in towards the rear of the trailer as the truck got pulled forward. Maybe you could just weld some metal bar or something on there to hold the knuckle in place or something. Maybe just put a big bar on from side to side to hold it still, but then it could still turn if it wanted to.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'd go for my idea first though. Around here a 8 lug 10 bolt or D44 sells for $250 pretty easily. Lotta guys want a 14FF rear but don't need/can't afford a D60 front.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 12:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want you could install a Hydralic clutch on your truck then you would only have to install the pedel assmembly and the slave would attach to the block. You should be able to order a Kit out of any High proformance Mag you find.
[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode