cold running 350 below 190 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

cold running 350 below 190

ok its winter time here, temps are only reaching 40"s on warm days, morning temps are any where from 0-20deg. My truck is running way to cool doesnt get over 190 and usualy less then that Id I dont let it warm up. its got 195 thermastat in it, a new water pump and all that junk

also the heater doesnt work very well, unless im running it hard down the interstate were the engine temp climbs just a little.

I want ti to run warmer in town cause it never gets warm enough to blow warm are, can I get hotter tstat then 195 say 200 210 or something.

maybe difrent ration of anitfreeze and water.??????
its been runnin for the last 20 mins and its gona be cold

thankx I have to head to work

thankx
Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 09:00 AM

Re: cold running 350 below 190

Evan, have you tried the old cardboard trick? Put a piece of cardboard over the lower front half of the radiator to block off some of the airflow kinda like the truckers do... I did this when I lived in Washington during really cold winters. It should help.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Eh, my Sonoma used to have that problem. My current truck tends to overheat on the expressway. I need a 3 core radiator.

Anyway, since yours is a GM with a conventional flow block off either the left half or right half of the radiator. If you block off the top or bottom you'd end up with some hot and some cold water, plus if you use your in-radiator ATF cooler it'd be bad not to block off just one side.

Also, use a piece of plastic and hold it in there so it isn't bouncing off the radiator going down the road. In my Sonoma I used to chicken band a black piece of plastic across the passenger side to the center core support brace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 10:55 AM
Kendog454

My truck runs at 170 degrees no matter what the conditions [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

hmmmmmmmmm my clutch fan not working

dang howd I forget about the card board trick?????

I think Im going to toss a new tstgat in it and the cardboard trick, these motors are desinged to run just shy of 210. wich is got me wondering maybe mines so wore out that it cant build enough heat in the motor itself unless Im ringing it out down the road
its 200 +++++++++++++++++++++++ motor gauges went out a few years back well closer to 4 thats a good 20k a year

anyways Ill try the card borad and tstat and see what happens

thankx
Evan
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well I tossed in 205 tstat and shes still running between 150-160

gona go back to 195 t-stat and change the heater core

not gona do the cardboard trick cause the last 4 years it hasnt needed it so Im sure its something else.

Evan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 04:35 AM

do you have a stock or aftermarket gauge? It could be the switch on the left (driver's) side of the head between the #1 and 3/5 exhaust ports, if there is a bad signal, your timing would be altered by vaccum possibly leading to running cold (retarded timing?)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ive ran with that sensor on plugged for awhile, the temperatur sensor and it didnt do anything,

I still think its the heater core.

ohhhhhhhh and now the radiator leaks.

I got two heater cores because there 2 listed for my truck and no way to tell whats in it till I get it out, and Ill be junkyard radiator shopn tonight, this pos realy ticks me off, id rather be doing a lift or something instead of this junk I have to have,

Evan
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 03:12 PM
Bassin

I had just about the same problem you did. I had a leaky radiator over the summer and I put in a few treatments of that Bar's leaks stuff, and it fixed the problem. The only drawback was that it built up on my t-stat and it wouldn't close all the way. I noticed it just a few weeks ago when the temperature would only get up to 120 with the cold weather lately. So I put a new t-stat in and flushed the radiator and everything is back to normal, and my leak hasn't showed up yet.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

finaly got it working right well kinda,

I had the heater core sitn there and started puln dash junk apart, when I got to thinkn, why not see if the cores realy plugged up, so I took the air hose and blew it out, a big junk of crud came out and then air blew freely through the heater core,
now the heaters running hot, and bout time, my only concern is I may have exspanded the heater core with the compressed air causeing a leak later on, but for now its working alot better.

thankx for all the ideas

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode