NP205 problems/questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NP205 problems/questions

Hi, I have a NP205 in my 1980 and the shifter to put it into 4wd is loose. I can tighten up the bolt that goes through the base of the shifter and it is still real loose. The greece nipple was greeced on it and it didnt do anything either. Also, I sometimes have a hard time shifting into 4lo and 4hi and back into 2wd. You can try and try and try and it wont shift, so u drive to a different spot and try it and it shifts fine. Any reason why that would happen. I would say about 30% of the time it wont shift and I have to relocated to get it to shift. 3rd thing is the rubber boot that is on the shifter. Mine is ripped and mud and water comes up through it because it is. Is there anywhere to buy replacement boots for these?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:11 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: NP205 problems/questions

I can't help with the shifter, but the hard to shift part is common i think. mine does it and it has new shift forks in it. It is because it binds up when being driven and needs to have something slip to get the gears unlocked from each other. Or something along those lines.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:39 PM

Re: NP205 problems/questions

have you checked the bolt to make sure that it is ok because mine is as tight as a rock it maybe stripped or the houseing
as for your shift boot you can get a new one from
www.chevyduty.com the part # is 40-663 and the price is
$23.95 and they have any thing you may need for your truck
as for the hard shifting i have two trucks with the 205 and have the same thing.and you can order it from there web site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode