Proof that a NP208 will do 60mph FWD for 130miles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Proof that a NP208 will do 60mph FWD for 130miles

As you may have gathered I blew the rear end of my truck 130 miles from home (the last one grenaded just south of Higgins Lake for you Michiganians) last Friday (11-22). I drove it home at 60mph.

The funny thing is that I blew them with 235x75r15 tires. Just east of Munising the first one blew. It looks like the gears welded themselves to the pin. Yes, the differential was full of fluid. I checked all my fluids except the front axle before I left. You can see in the picture that two of the spider halves are actually compressed so they wouldn't fit on the pin anymore. On the back side of one of the halves you can actually see the teeth of the ring gear pressed in to it. Yes, I'm still running my original ring and pinion and yes I'm looking for new gears/axles.

Anyway, four days it took me to get my truck back together. I ended up buying another truck since I couldn't find an axle for a respectable price. Once I got that truck tore apart I found that the spiders in it were chipped so I ended up going to a junkyard and getting the spiders and pin from them for $20.

I also put a non-computer controlled distributor in and installed a second battery. Anybody else running ~12 of advance on a mild cam? I'm only getting 14" of vacuum at idle. I suppose the timing question should be another post.

You can see the chunked carrier here:http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...rgears-112202/

Also, I have pictures of my newly acquired 87C10. We only had two carriers and one space in the garage. Since one carrier had to be out of the truck and one in we hooked the receivers together and pinned them so we could get it out of the garage. Kind of goofy but it worked. My Dad said it almost beats the time him and a friend of his stuck a Vega in the bed of a Ford truck. http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...arrier-112402/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:06 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Proof that a NP208 will do 60mph FWD for 130miles

What gears are going in it now?

Did you get my PM about the various sets of half ton axles for sale on www.MichiganOnlineOffroaders.com?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I'm on the hunt for 3.73s. Unless my 2.73s with their mangled teeth start making noise I'm going to run them until spring. I've got my Dad on the look for 4x4 1 ton GMs. Periodically there will be old 1 ton GM pickups in the area for $500. There are a pair of 3/4 ton 4x4s in the paper for $450 but I already have a 14FF with 3.73s and don't want to spend any more money this time of the year.

4.10s on 235s at 75mph is pretty noisey to say the least even with .75 overdrive. My snow tires are 235s so 4.10s would be pretty bad. If I didn't run little snow tires I'd have either 4.10s or 4.56s on the brain. Cooper Weathermasters are expensive enough at 235s.

I don't really want to run 8 lug wheels since I'll have to run wagon wheels or pay through the nose for nice wheels. Unless I find a Dana 60 I don't plan on running 8 lug.

It must be late. I'm rambling.

I looked at the forum but I couldn't find any within driving distance so that's why I bought that truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 01:47 PM
ratlover

Ahhh....I had a K5 that liked to eat driveshafts(3 in 18 months) I got good at droping the rear DS and driving home in front wheel drive. 60 mph probably aint good on your front axel or u joints though.

Give a motor as much advance as it will take without detonating. Every motor is different. IMO factory smog motors have way too much vacuume advance. You can usually give her a bit more inital by sticking an adjustable in there and limiting the total the vacuume can give it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode