Eaton Rear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Eaton Rear

down the street from me, a guy is selling a pickup box trailer, ya know the kind where the guy torchest the frame and just leaves the back axle underneath the the box. well its a 8 bolt pattern and from the looks of the axle its a Eaton, this is just driving by though, its larger then a 14FF and is round(sounds like a Eaton). The box looks as if it is off a 55 Chevy(im not sure of the entire years the boxs had that style would it be worth it to buy it. or do you guys think that the axle would be long trashed and it would just be smarter to wait till im ready for a 14FF down the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:58 AM

Re: Eaton Rear

<font color="blue"> The eaton has a chance of having real low like 5:13 gears and a detroit rihgt off the bat. But they are hard to get parts for from what I hear. Noone makes new parts, so you're stuck scroungeing around for parts. Real srong axles however. The only problem I can think of putting one in your truck. Is that I THINK. (not quite sure) the real old trucks, like a 55. Used narrower axles then newer ones. So you might find it was to narrow for your uses. Other stuff like shock mounts and spring perches are moved easily enough.
I would personnally wait for a 14. They are usally really cheap, and parts are everywhere for them. You can also find one that will bolt right up to your truck. The 3/4tons have the same spring width as the 1/2 tons, the 1 tons are 2 inchs narrower. </font color>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the info man, im just gonna wait till i go 14FF and Dana 44 or 60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

How much does he want for it? If it's cheap enough, you could just swap a trailer axle or a certain 1/2 ton axle under it and sell it to get some of your money back.

Eatons are great axles. It's pretty hard to break them, and a lot of the maintenance stuff is still available if you ask around at the heavy truck maintenance companies. I know the local snow plow gurus who do the County snow plow fleet can still get bearings and stuff for it.

See if he'll let you jack it up and spin a tire. If it thunks and both tires turn in the same direction, be interested.[img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I doubt it's a 55. The BIG Eatons weren't under any of the pickups back then. Probably just a spare axle the trailer maker had. Take a tape measure and give it a measure to see how wide it is.

Personally, old as sin and 19 spline axle shafts don't worry me at all. I'd run an Eaton with a Detroit with no problems.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

i think he might of sold the thing...its not in his yard anymore, although i was lookin at the trailer that at our farm. it has a 6 lug axle with 10 bolts in teh diff cover, but looks bigger then a regular 10 bolt, im gonna get pictures of it, that and it has a trick looking coil suspension, which could be used as design for my beast later on down the road...add sinister grin here [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 07:57 AM
Mud in my Veins

Hmmmmmmm....................six lugs, rear axle, 10 cover bolts, and might not be a 10 bolt. Semi floating? Back in the day, like pre-73, GM trucks used coil springs for the rear suspension on the 2wds. 4-Wheel &amp; Off-Road did a 2wd to 4x4 conversion on a 65 K10 a few issues back that featured this type of rear suspension. Now, as for the axle...........I'm trying to remember how many bolts the D60's use. There was a 6 lug semi floating rear D60 that GM used pre-73 for a while. Can't be sure if it's what you have, but look at the castings on the axle housing.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

ok, i have family stuff today, but ill look at it tmw and get some pics too
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:02 AM

how about a set of 79 burban 3/4 ton 373's that need to get the **** out of my yard they are still on the frame but have the cutting torch handy.oh did i say there free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode