TH700R4 TV cable question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 09:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TH700R4 TV cable question

Ok, my TH700R4 (Who makes those btw?) shifts very early. I even doubt if the engine gets past 1500RPM's. I heard the TV cable (where or whatever that is) needs adjustment. Does anybody know where I can find info on this? Would be great.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 02:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: TH700R4 TV cable question

Turbo Hydromatic, same as the TH350, TH400, etc. Now what their current name is...................[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If this is your 88 then you should have a TBI SBC hooked to that 700R4. I'm not an expert on it, and I had trouble doing it, had to get a friend's help, but the TV cable runs from the d-side of the throttle body back to the brace looking thing on the d-side of the rear of the intake. From there it runs back down the bellhousing and tranny. Quite how you adjust it I can't remember, but it's pretty simple once you figure it out. I'm basically mechanically inept, so it puzzled me, but my buddy who's a mechanic (jbsjunk on here) fixed it in like 2 tries and under 5 minutes. Including test drives.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 10:28 PM

andrew, thanks for the kudos. as for the tv cable. it depends on the year of the truck as if will have one. i believe 92ish, they went to all electronic, wich is a 4l60e trans. before that time, there was a tv cable making it a 700r4. as for adjustment, it's at the tv cable mount on the dr rear of the intake. there is a silver tab that should be pointing up on the cable housing. in your case, i'd push the cable housing into the adjuster a couple clicks at a time until the shifting suits your needs. in AJM's case i had to adjust the cable out (shifting late).
hope i helped you out!! keep me posted.
as a side note, how's your trans fluid? burnt? or good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 04:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well the truck is an 88, but the tranny is an 87. If you look at my profile you can see how my truck is not really from one year anymore.

I looked at the cable and spotted it. But I can't depress the D-clip that holds it. Flood it with WD40?

As for the fluid. The tranny has been rebuild under a year ago. But still I checked the fluid. Clear and ad good as new.

If I understand correctly, to correct my problem I need to get the outer cable more towards the engine to make it shift later. (After I got it unstuck.)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 04:10 PM

sorry, didn't catch the year, so i decided to wing it [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] if memory serves, you take a screwdriver under the tab and pick it up a fuzz, not push on it. to gain slack in the cable. but you need to tighten up the cable (hence push it in the adjuster) to make it shift later. in AJM's case, i had to put some slack in the cable (pull it out)
has the trans been shifting like this sence the rebuild?
keep me posted if you need any help. if you go by my previous post, push it in a couple clicks at a time till it shifts right, then pick up on the tab if you go too far, it will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode