Your opinion on 84 3/4 ton. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 10:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your opinion on 84 3/4 ton.

Hey folks ,

I found another possible buy. It's an 84 3/4 ton been repainted corners look good one replacement pass floor. It has a ~6ft diamond plate flat bed with wood sides. Front axle looks like a 44? 8lug, but the rear is huge about the size of a basket ball? It's $3000 firm with 86K on a 350/auto. Here's the bad news there's a 7ft plow on it. It was used to clear a small parking lot and a driveway. The plow looks to be in nice shape. I figure I can sell it to off set the price or use it for tires. Any thoughts? Pro's/con's?

Thanks
norville

PS what size tire could I put under this stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Your opinion on 84 3/4 ton.

use the plow and make money with it to pay off the truck. Sounds kinds high price to me for a 3/4 ton but if the body is in good shape might be alrught. 3/4 tons had 8' beds unless they either shortened teh frame or pulled a Rezzy Joe and cut the back off at the rear shakles.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 10:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Be careful if it had a 700R-4. Around here plowing is a big thing, and has killed many of those auto's, and severly weakend the rest. I woldn't buy anything with a 700R-4 that has plowed, especially for $3000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went over to the four wheeler site and looked at the outlines for tranny's. I'm pretty sure it's a th400 from the looks of the pan. I know it didn't come with them in 84 right. Oh yah the flat bed is linger than my reach, 6foot plus a foot or so. 3 bills seems high to me also, around here any thing with a decent body (worked or not) seem to be going for that.

thanks
norville
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I recall properly, my 1984 3/4 ton came stock with a 305, TH350/NP203, 14 bolt SF rear, GM corporate 10 bolt front with 3.42 gears and ~31" highway tires. Stock, it wouldn't have made much of an off road truck, even with better tires. It's a much better truck now that I dropped in a built 350, SM465/NP205, 14 bolt FF, Dana 60 and run 4.11 gears with 35's.

What you are looking at doing WITH this truck has a major bearing on what you will have to do TO the truck. You'll eventually want something more than a 305 for off-roading, in my opinion.

$3000 for an `84 3/4 ton sounds fair IF the truck is in pretty decent shape, runs & drives good AND has a decent plow on it. As already mentioned, you can sell the plow or use it. I sold an OLD Meyer plow a couple years ago for $650 if memory serves... and it was pretty beat up. Western plows are more popular... you could probably get $1000 or more if it's complete, in good condition and functional.

I have been plowing snow with older Chevy's for at least 6-7 years. My first 3 or 4 years, I ran a 1982 K5 with a 6.2L Diesel and TH700R4. I never had a problem with the transmission. The last 3 years, I've been running a 1977 shortbox with a 305 and TH350 and haven't had a problem with that tranny either. BUT both trucks had/have an extra tranny fluid cooler. Check the tranny fluid in the transmission - if it brown and smells like burnt rubber, the tranny is on its last legs. If it's still red, it's probably fine.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 03:07 PM
87sm465np208

i tell you what, my 87 was 1200, rusty body, not rusted body mounts but it has rust, not rust holes or anything, came with an tbi350\sm465\np208 combo, which i like, yu'll have the np208 as well. personally out of the 1\2 ton trannys out of the 80's i like the 465 compared to the 700r4, but you might have a 305\th400\np208 combo, those were popular at that time in the 80's, i could of bought one with that combo a while ago, but didnt, because it was too old, at least that is what i thought of at the time.

[img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 05:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as what I want to do with this truck. It's not real simple, 2-3 times a year I need to get fire wood, 2weeks a year I need it for hunting (need 4wd), spring mulch and stuff, once a week garbage. The rest of the year I need a truck that looks good and I can drive to and from work (5miles) and for the occasional off road adventure. I looked at the 3/4 cause it was in nice shape and figured the 3/4 would be a little stronger built. I guess I can talk to the man a little more and get some info. I was getting pi$$ed after I asked a few and the old man was pain ignorant. His sone was nice and tried to sell me his 84 1/2 ton 8ft-er that was nice but needed work (rebuilt 305 needed rear bumper, windshield, and some other stuff + paint) the body was nice, he was firm on $2200. the 305 was a big turn off with auto hubs.

I have a line on a 83 gmc with a rebuilt 400 small block and th350 that just needs paint($3000). How does the 3/4 compare to 1/2 ton in parts or performance.

thanks
norville
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 08:04 PM

Ive got one, dad bought it new in 84. It has 350 motor, 4.10 gears, GM 10 bolt front, 4 speed tranny and has fed several hundred 1200 lb bales of hay every winter since 84 so I think its one tough rig. E mail me with any particular questions you may have.

John in Oklahoma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode