Transfercase/tranny removal question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Transfercase/tranny removal question

I am in process of removing my transfer case/transmission. I am going to fabricate a "cradle" for my jack to support the assembly during removal. Does anyone know the approximate center of gravity for a TH350/NP203 assembly. (or have any other suggestions)
Thanks,

Hans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Transfercase/tranny removal question

yea make your adapter with holes drilled to line up with the holes in your crossmember then bolt your adapter to your crossmember (the one the trans is mounted to)then unbolt the crossmember from the frame then lower also at the point of the trans mount their is a little more weight on the 350 trans side of the 350\203 assembley so the center will prob right in front of the crossmember
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 08:01 AM
ratlover

I built a craddel for my 3 ton jack. Pretty easy, a peice of 12x12 plate steel with a spud welded on the bottom that goes into the hole were the little dish normally goes and on each corner I welded rings. Yu can use the rings to tie the object to the plate with some ratchet straps or the like.

I would drop them seperatly. Its not to much work and I would go saftey firts......maybe someone here has done em together but I dont know???

I droped my case with the crossmember attached. I stuck the jack under the crossmember and strapped her down and it was pretty stable.

Dropping the trany was a similar deal excet I didnt strap it down. I is pretty well balanced if you lift it form the pan.

Tips and words of wisdom

Dont let your motor mounts support the motor/tranny or even itself. When you are droping the TC put a jackstand or block of wood under the trany so when you remove the crossmember the trany/motor dont drop down. Then when you go to yank the tranny support the motor so it dont rotate down. Make sense???

When putting the tranny back make sure the TC is all the way on. It it is when the bellhousing is seated to the motor there will be a little gap between the torqueconverter and the flexplate.

Making 2 alignment dowls makes stabing a trany by yourself very easy. They can be made easy by taking a long bolt that fit into the motor/bellhousing and chopping off the head. Then the head like a bullet and slicing a grove into it so you can use a screw driver to thread it out. Thread the dowl into the block on the bottom holes on each side. Stab the tranny in there and start a couple bolts. Unscrew the dowls and finish the job. Make sense?

Good luck [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Philip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, the dowel pin idea sounds great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode