To Lock or Not to lock, This is my new question? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To Lock or Not to lock, This is my new question?

Well here it is, my quest for My truck!!! I think I have found the lift kit I want. Now on to more complex questions. I want my little project 75 to be my go anywhere do anything truck, should I lock the diff's or leave it factory? I know that on my racecar I locked the diff's permenately!! (welded them in fact) Is there a way to lock them when I need them locked and to have them unlocked on the road??? I know I must seem like a major DA, but I figure a dumb question is better than dumb mistakes. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 09:29 PM

Re: To Lock or Not to lock, This is my new question?

Locked all the time would basically suck, even on the trail. A detroit in both ends would be the cheapest thing to live with. An ARB air locker can be switched on and off.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 07:44 AM
Stroked72blazer

Re: To Lock or Not to lock, This is my new question?

I plant to use a posi in the rear and an air locker in front. I think this is the best and most reliable choice for a "go anywhere" type of vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: To Lock or Not to lock, This is my new questio

i would go selectible front and rear (expensive), a detroit will do just fine offroad, not as friendly on road as limited slip, but limited slip is next to useless off road (tends to blow up), all though i belive it was willis that still likes his limited slip (hasn't blown it up yeat).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 07:34 PM

Yeah, mines just dandy at the moment, but I have a detroit sitting on my living room floor. Just need my R&P to get here and it goes in. A detroit is not bad on the street, especially in a full size truck. And the front wouldn't even matter on the street since your hubs would be unlocked. Off road it would be tough to turn but not too bad. I would run an ARB in front and Detroit in the rear, as a matter of fact I am...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 10:06 PM
87sm465np208

yep damn limited slips, they do blow up, i know mine did on the street thank goodness, i wasnt out in the bonnies off-roading. i was not doing a burnout, but doing a tight turn, it just locked and didnt unlock and then made a BAM noise then when i turned it went BANG BANG BANG BANG, well i distroyed my first limited slip, then i got a new axle with an open carrier, id say if yur heavy into off-road then get something worth while like a detroit locker. but that is just my 2 cents. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All this talk of BANG, BANG, BAG is makeing my nervous! I think I'll just keep it stock for now then change it over later after I've had a chance to look in to it more!!! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:07 PM
Stroked72blazer

Limited slips blow up? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] What type are you using? The only LSDs I've seen blow up are the wind up style used in yhe mid to late 90s. There is no reason a spring/clutch type should ever "blow up"!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:26 PM

stroked...obviously you arent too familiar with the G-80 Gov-lock. its a pile. the design is inherently flawed. when wheel speed difference is detected a flywheel engages a locker....well if it engages as the wheels are spinning at different speeds them obviously you're asking for trouble.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:04 PM
Stroked72blazer

Duhhh......I think thats what I just said. The Gov Lock is a wind up type and was used in the mid to late 90's. The spring/clutch type (Auburn, Eaton, etc..) is a very reliable unit. The spring/clutch is not as effective as a Detroit locker but is much more streetable. I would not use a Gov lock on my self propelled push mower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode