Info on an 84 C-10 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Info on an 84 C-10

Hello everyone, I spend a lot of time over in the Jeep board, but I was hoping to get some info on a Chevy. I am in the process of building a rig. I like the wheelbase of the Jeep YJ, but want to run a 350/SM465. I found an 84 C-10 that has rusted away pretty bad. But the drivetrain is still strong. I was wondering how wide the axels are in these trucks, and what they came with as far as R&P. From the look of it (I didn't look to hard it was cold out) It looked like a D44 f and D60 R.... That might be pretty cool in an offroad rig. Thanks very much for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 08:24 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Info on an 84 C-10

Well, a C10 is a 2wd. So, we'll assume you're talking about a K10.

Front axles are 70" wide and rear axles are 67" wide from wheel surface to wheel surface.

A half ton will probably have a 305/700R4/NP208 combination with 10 bolt axles. It'll probably have 2.73, 3.08, or 3.42 gears. Small chance that it has 3.73 or 4.11 gears. It might have a 350 under the hood though. If it has a 350 under there it probably has 3.42 or 3.73 gears.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thank you very much for the info. K-10, that is what it is. I have gone and looked at it. It does in fact have the 350/SM465/ (and I think a 208? But I am not sure) I know that the front is a D44. And it sounds like there were a lot of options as far as what gears it has in the pigs.
I am pretty sure that this is a 3/4 ton drive train. What rear axel came under these trucks. Is there a chance it is a D60? Or a 12 bolt? Any Idea of spline count?
Thank you very much for all the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, if it has a SM465 (which were pretty rare in a half ton so that's why I assumed it was automatic) then it has a NP208 stuck to it.

They quit using Dana 44s in 78. They could still be found on some oddball trucks (mainly Canadian from what I'm told) through 1981. The 12 bolt died in 1981 as well but there were still a few oddball trucks in 82 that had them.

Dana 60s were never used for a half or 3/4 ton. I think they used Dana 70s for some dualies though.

This is, of course, assuming everything is original. If it's been monkeyed with then who knows what it has without pictures. You can use google to find pictures of differential covers to find out what axles you've got.

I'm leaving on vacation today so someone else will have to answer any more questions you've got.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How many lugs on the wheels?? 1/2 ton 4x4 has 6. 3/4 ton has 8. (If it's a 3/4 it'll be a K20). Does the rear have the hub sticking out through the center (Full Floater)?? Dana 60's ended a while ago. If it's a 3/4 than it'll be either a 14blt SF or FF. if it's 1/2 it could be 10blt or 12. 1/2 ton front should be 10blt. Not sure if they still used Dana 44's for 3/4 fronts in 84 or not. Someone here will chime in though.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode