Help which cam - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 06:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help which cam

Need advice on cam to go with. 86 305 block, with a 400 crank, 58cc heads. I'm wanting to get a proformance amount of compression so any advice will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 07:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help which cam

Check out the specs on my 383 I had built. The Cam I chose is listed there, this motor rocks.

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...o=&fpart=1
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 08:46 PM
Stroked72blazer

Need more input. What kind of heads? Have they been worked over? What about intake? Headers? Stall converter? The whole thing needs to be built as a system so deciding what cam requires all the above.

Remember, theres no substitution for cubic inches. why build a 330 (asuming its not bored over) when you can put that 400 crank in a 350 and have a 383 (.030 bore)? I have a 350 you can hear run and if you act soon can drive, I will sell for $500 for the whole motor minus carb and maybe distributor.

If you are running stock 305 heads there is nothing you can do to make them flow enough to supply a 330. hogging them out and punching the valves to .202 will help but will stoll not do the trick, and is a waste of money.

If you are hellbound on the 330 then this is how I would build it. Spend about $850 on vortech heads and a Proformer intake. www.sdpc2000.com Then use a proformer plus cam.

If your on a budget and have stock 305 heads then use the stock cam or at the most use a GM L82. Do not waste money on machine work for these heads as you will be very disapoionted. You might use the proformer cam if you think you can upgrade to a proformer intake but dont do this if you plan to use vortech heads in the future, as the have a diferant bolt and intake runner pattern. You can get a proformer intake for vortech heads but it is not interchangeable with stock heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 09:48 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

What are the casting numbers on the heads? Chances are they have 1.84/1.50 valves anyway. You can put 1.94 holes in it easily.

If you port the heads you can get enough flow to fill those cylinders up. I'd call up Competition Cams or Crane and see what they say for a cam. It's going to want an oddball duration.

You're going to have to run dished pistons in order to avoid astronomical compression ratios. I, myself, would save that 400 crank for the 400 it came out of. There's no reason to waste it on a 305 or 350 unless the 400 block is cracked.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The heads I have are the 14014416, they've got the 1.84"/1.5" valves. I'm going to be running headman headers, and I think that I'm going to go with a edelbrock troker II manifold or a performer with a 600 cfm carb. The block will be bored out to 3.79".
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When in doubt Stroke it out!! just go large with the cam, man. I have never heard any one complain about haveing to much unless they was looking at fuel mileage or in the tech field of a stockcar race. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] All this is comeing from someone who never has played with these kind of toys so pls don't listen to me. Untill recently my Motto was "GO FAST TURN LEFT!!" (I rarely made the tech field) [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 07:08 PM
Stroked72blazer

You can over cam a motor. Especially a 4wd. For a 4x4 you want low end torque. Generally speaking, the bigger the cam the higher the RPM. As for the Torker II manifold, it is designed for between 2500-6500 RPM, not ideal for a 4wd. The performer is designed for "off idal to 5500 RPM". If that is what you go with then use the perfomer cam. They are both designed to work together so you will get optimum performance that way. I would not excede 10:1 compression unless you want to buy the expensive gas to avoid detonation.

Those heads are from an 80-86 305, you are right about valves and cc. Those heads will supply your motor but the motor as a whole is too small for any real power so the most you will get out of high dollar machine work on those heads is about 15-20 hp, and that will probably raise the RPM range so you will hurt yourself more than help.

To my knowledge there are no 305 pistons that would acomodate 5.7" rods so I asume you have 5.565". Because of this I wouldn't run your motor higher than 5700 RPM I am going as far as using a rev limiter with my 383.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 08:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'd suggest the 305 H.O. camshaft with .414 / .414 lift for a Chevy 334 ( 305 bore X 400 stroke) pickup engine. But really [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], I think it's a waste of money to build a 334. Building a 383 is a much better bang for the $$$. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
dave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:25 PM
bigwishlist

Stroked72blazer Im interested in your motor. Please tell me your close to Sheboygan Falls Wisconsin. Ive got lost of Qs about it. Thanks.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I never looked at it that way but I am sure your right now that I think about it. Running those dirt track cars I am used to wanting higher RPM range. I still have a lot to learn about these 4x4's. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode