Need easy answers fast-1983 3/4T - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need easy answers fast-1983 3/4T

I am looking for a truck and have lost a few already from being too slow. I am not a motor head and a somewhat of a Jeeper, but I'd like to know what goodies may be hiding in this truck. A local paper has a 1983 3/4 ton longbed pick up for sale. Has a 4 speed with a "granny" gear. He said someone else was looking into the truck, but may not want it because of the axles. He said there is nothing potruding thru the rim(no full floated stub) and the guy told him they were C clips. I am not that familiar with Chevy stuff but I know what names are good. I know this is not going to be a 14 bolt, but what are the chances it's got a 205 T-case??? The tranny should be a 465 I think. I just need to know what to look for and how to tell what it is. If the T-case is a 208, do they really suck??? He also said the hubs are automatic. Is this a vaccum actuated hub??? Plans are for a dependable hunting/wheeling rig with tires no bigger than 35's. Do I need a 6" kit for 35's. I am sorry for the rambling, just anxious to try and snag the truck if it's worthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 12:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need easy answers fast-1983 3/4T

If it's Stock.

It'll be:
SM465...Bulletproof.
NP208...Rock Crawler's like 'em for the low range. Aluminum case not as tough as the cast iron gear driven 205. Only chance you got for a 205 is if someone swaped one in.
14 Bolt Semi Floater. It's what's in my Truck, all of this so far is. (SM465, NP208, 14BSF, 10BC) My stuff's got 400,000 miles on it. No problems.
10-Bolt Front axle. Ehh, swap it. Auto locking hubs are not vaccum, it's a SFA. You've gotta be at a dead stop if I'm right to pull the T-Case into a 4wd mode, then roll forward, if they go "click, cick, click, click, click" they're dried up, $350-$400 to get factory GM replacements or $70 for Warn Premiums. I got the premiums. As for the lift, you're gonna have to rely on someone else to answer that question, my rig's stock. Also I beleive they only work when driving forwards. The auto locking ones that is.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 12:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This will be real dumb....it should have 14 bolts on the diff cover correct? I didn't think I'd have a chance at a 14 at all and was quite certain that it'll be a 12, but I posted and asked for help so I won't be an ass and tell you your wrong. Truck is a 120 mile round trip and am contemplating checking it out in the AM before having to come back to work at 2:00 PM. Seller sounds old and says the he bought the truck new in '83. Little chance of mods. If it's a 14, I'd save $200 alone on the Detroit. The NP 208 scares me being aluminum, any additonal input? Most of the wheeling I'd do in a P/U here in NM is going to be flexy stuff traversing washed out roads with 3' deep ruts at slow speeds anyhow. Not into high RPM slinging (I don't think.never had a V8 yet) He wants $2500, should probably just scoop it anyhow unless it's a real piece. There's a real beater in town for $1500..shortbed '77 with external hubs and a 12 blt rear, with a manual tranny. Any possibilites of goodies here???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 01:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yup, 14 Bolts on the Diff cover. If it's an old guy who's had it since it's new, you could be lucky, and it could be in excellent condition. Mine is because my dad is an awesome guy with maintaining his stuff. Has alot of Pride of Ownership. On the forum, Search for "Pride of Ownership" if you want to read about it, first post I ever made about my truck. We've had mine since it was brand new. So I know what came stock on it, everthing under it. Unless it's an ultra-lite 3/4 ton (which I've never heard of) it's gonna have a 14 Bolt Semi-Floater in the rear. So you probably don't have to worry about it having a 12 bolt. The Heavier 3/4 tons had the Full Floaters, especially the Camper Specials.

The 12-Bolt rear is an irritating rear axle to say when it was stopped being used. Personally I like to think of it as dead in the very early 80s, like 81-82. It was replaced with the 10 bolt in the later years. But since it was so common it found it's way under some early-mid 80s rig as leftovers. I think as front axle's go, the Dana 60 only came on 1-Tons. Maybe on 3/4T Camper Specials.

You shouldn't have any trouble at all with the 208 if you're not going any really hardcore stuff. Lots of people swear by them. The aluminum shouldn't bug you. You're not runnin huge tires, with 450+HP right?

The '77, other's will probably add more to what I have to say on it. Maybe Dana 44 in the front, possibly a 10-Bolt. I'd bet on a D-44. Same tranny, the sm465. Unless it's got an sm420, which I think was ditched in favor of the 465 alot earlier than 77. Difference is lower granny gear (7.xx vs. 6.55 in a 465), and more expensive to find parts for since it's older.

As for the wheelin you'd do, I'd say as long as your gentle with the gas, it should hold up pretty good on 35s (hopefully 4.10:1 in the rear), and be a very dependable truck. Weakest point for you will be the front axle since it's prolly a 10-bolt, but as long as you traverse your ruts gently, should hold up just fine. My dad used to load his up with 110 gal of fuel, about 600 lbs of tools, a welder/generator and full Oxy/Acet setup, and go drive around in fields (it's got a set of airbags in the rear to assist). It was our farm truck. Held up pretty damned good I think. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 05:40 AM

yeah itll have 14 bolts on the cover, and its only a semi floater, so it wont havt the huge hubs. And the detroit your thinking of will not fit it. Its a lighter version, designed to reduce weight in the trucks and has a whole different carrier. And it wont be a 12 bolt cause GM never made an 8 lug 12 bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode