what is to swaping gears? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 09:16 PM
87sm465np208

what is to swaping gears?

what is to swaping a ring and pinion? im curious to know, shops charge more for the labor putting it in then for the ring and pinion, im a do-it-yur-selfer shade tree style, i swaped an axle already, put in new wheel joints up front, new u-joints, im pretty good at doing this kinda stuff, but it ever came around to it, id like to know how to swap gears, as oposed to taking it to a shop and having them do it. any one have any tips, pointers? id really appreciate it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what is to swaping gears?

gears aren't too hard just really really time comsuimg and trial and error. randysringand pinion.com I think has some good info on it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:39 AM

<font color="green"> There are plenty of instructions to be found online on how to install gears, but this is not something that can be half-assed. Gears MUST be set up perfectly or they will self destruct. This is definately one of the more advanced do it yourself projects. I installed gears in my axles recently, the front axle took over 15 hours to get it right, the rear took about 8.

Evan</font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 12:05 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Unless you've got a 14SF, a rear Dana 60/70, or Dana 60 front it is cheaper and easier to buy junkyard axles and swap them in. It's $150 for either a 10 bolt or a 12 bolt.

If you get a front ten bolt to replace your current one you can pull your stuff off from the knuckles out and put it on the new axle. Heck, you can even be lazy and swap axle shafts too since there are no c-clips.

A place that knows what they're doing only takes 2 hours to do a gear change. They have the right tools like a case spreader and such. There is a guy at the local club that can do it in 3 hours.

The key seams to be to have patience. It also helps to have a set of shims. Years ago I watched my Dad do it. It took him just over four and a half hours. I think putting the gears in only took over an hour. I'm pretty sure he pissed around with the shims and a couple-three crush collars for a few hours.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the crush sleeve should be the last thing on. A case speader helps alot. We built are own using square tubing and a porta-power. I saw in summit racing you can get a pinion depth setting tool for $100 right now which would help alot too. Buy the install kit and that comes with shims, bearings, crush sleeve is used, marking compound, and seals.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 02:51 PM
87sm465np208

wow, sounds very serious, i was told also it is sometimes easier to just go and get an axle at the junkyard with the ratio you want, and just put it in, but i did get lucky, i didnt have to pay anything for the axle i got, but, i might wanna practice doing this, because i find it very hard to let another technition touch my "big blue baby" (my truck) i like to work on it myself and a gear swap would be fun, but i would hate to spend 15 hours on it, because its my dailer driver, but true i will look more into it, thanks everyone for your imput. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

on a similar note... how hard is it to find those CUCV 14FF axles with detroits and 4.56 gears and what's a going price? I'd have to move perches and change my d-shaft flange to make it work in the Bronco, but I'd save a lot of loot over having to have gears swapped into a Ford 1ton, which cost $500 just to get a basic axle with 3.55's. I've seen 14FF's out of normal 1ton trucks with 4.56 gears, but would I be able to find one with that ratio in non-dually form?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 08:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you can find a CUCV truck you can get a good deal on it's parts. Joe's dad got his for $300!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode