Help! What would cause this? (Steering problem) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 10:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help! What would cause this? (Steering problem)

On my 1980 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 I have a 3" suspension lift and a body lift with 35" tires and it has a tough time steering. Sometimes you can turn the wheel a full roation and the tires don't turn at all. And sometimes when you hit a bump the tires will turn some. It turns tight in one direction but the other direction it doesnt turn tight at all, sometimes have to back up some just to turn onto another road. I was wondering what would cause this and how to fix it? If anyone could reply with some advice that would be great!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 11:53 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Help! What would cause this? (Steering problem)

Sounds like it's time for a new steering box to me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 05:50 PM
Can't Get Enough

for the second half of the problem it sounds like you need to adjust the drag link. park the truck with the wheels pointed straight and adjust the drag link until the steering wheel is dstraight. The other part I couldn't help you with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 07:45 PM
87sm465np208

might be your steering shaft too, those wear when you have over size tires and high milage, mine is worn out too, but i just deal with it, it might also be your steering box adjustment, you can adjust some slop out of the steering by adjusting the sector shaft. look more into it, you might be pleaasently suprized. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

check draglink and also maybe a cracked frame. Might be time for a frame support.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which part of the steering is the draglink?

I replaced my steering box, didnt fix nothing.

Which part of the steering the steering shaft?

Does anyone know how I can adjust this sector shaft for the steering box adjustment?

Sorry I dont know a whole lot about these trucks yet. I am only 19 and am still getting into the 4x4's.

I was also wrong when I said the steering turns good one way and not the other. I turn the wheels all the way both ways, and looked at how close the stoppers where to where they should hit to stop the steering, and on the one side it is over an inch away, and on the other side its about a half inch away. So it turns better one way, but still not as good as it should.

Thanks for the help so far!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 05:30 PM
87sm465np208

steering shaft is the part that goes from the steering colum to the steering box. wow how much did that steering box run you, a new steering shaft frin borgenson, is 200$ and it is a hell of alot stronger then the stock one.

btw im 17 [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 07:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have 3 other 73-87 chevy 4x4's out in the yard so I took one out of one of them so al it costed me was an afternoon worth of work. I was just wondering where would the sterring shaft where? Like the rubber piece that is at the steering box or?

Thanks guys!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:13 PM
87sm465np208

steering shaft, is the metal shaft that goes from the steering box to the steering colum, it is a metal collabsable shaft.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 10:52 PM

He meant where would it WEAR as in take damage and wear out. Not familiar with 73-87 Chevys, but my steering shaft has a rubber piece that can go bad, as well as a tiny little ujoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode