4 wheeling along high tension power lines? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 12:38 PM
87sm465np208

4 wheeling along high tension power lines?

i see lots of trails as i drive around, and on the treck to my 2nd school that i goto, how would i go about trying to get permission to drive on these trails, i mean i dont even care if it is muddy and sloppy, i just want to drive off-road on trails, IN A LEGAL FASION, and im just curiuos if anyone has ever done this and who they had to [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 02:07 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: 4 wheeling along high tension power lines?

It's the power company's easement. You'd have to ask them. They'll give you a firm "no".

Around here, if there's no berm, pile of rocks, gate, or posted closed sign then it's fair game. No one gives you the right to use it they merely don't stop you. Just leave the trail cleaner than you found it. If you see someone making a mess get their license plate and turn them in. The land owner will be tickled pink. 99% of them are merely worried about liability and people leaving [bleep] on their land.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 07:50 PM
87sm465np208

dang, yea, i have no clue how it is around here, i never done it, id hate to be caught "behind enemy lines" because that would suck for me, because i hate when i breake the law in general, but i gotta find some place to go 4 wheeling that is legal and mildly amuseing. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the only way i can think of going by doing so is just call comed and start asking people, theyll put you on hold and transfer like 30 times maybe give you different phone numbers to call, but eventually might get to the right person.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 09:54 PM
87sm465np208

there is just some really cool lookin trails out in addison, i go by there everyday, and isee what looks like an endless scenic trail, and im like damn i wanna 4 wheel' on there, but damn i dont wanna do illegally it and get caught and get in big trouble. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 11:23 PM
Mud in my Veins

if it's not posted, gated, or obviously "mounded", go for it! you'd be surprised what you can get away with if the land isnt posted. i know of a guy first hand that shot a 12pt in this lady's front yard, which was about 5-7 acres with a barbed fenced around it, but it wasnt posted. he was on the opposite end of the land from her house, and she called the cops, and when they showed up they said there was nothing they could do about it because it was not posted! as a land owner, i'd be pissed if the same thing happened on my land, but this illustrates the importance of placing Posted signs all over the damn place! (or purple paint, which is equivalent in Arkansas, maybe nation-wide too). Check your local laws, but I have no problem venturing down roads that arent marked, though I dont do this during deer season and you shouldnt either since anybody you meet is guaranteed to have a gun [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

It's illegal in Michigan to shoot or give chase on someone else's property without permission. The DNR has been on TV pretty regularly for the last week saying this. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so there are a lot of hunters and not many females--which becomes even more evident during hunting season. "Where the men are men, the women are men, and the sheep are scared".

If that guy had come on my land wearing camouflage or a Carhart coat there'd not only be a 12 point but a funny looking deer that walked on two legs with toes and had no antlers laying on the ground next to it.

Most everywhere I've heard of has pretty shady rules on land use. In DNR/BLM jargon in Michigan their rules are "it's closed unless posted open". Common practice is that as long as there isn't a closed gate, a pile of rocks, a pile of logs/brush, a berm, or double ditch you're allowed to traverse it. Most of the land we go on is International Paper land and they don't want us on it but say "but we're not going to stop you". They just don't want us tearing up their "roads" nor do they want us crossing any moving water (silt end up in a stream..). They don't want us there because we're a liability on their insurance. To quote the guy that came to our meeting "we do not want you to use chainsaws but we aren't going to tell you not to use an axe".

Anyway, as long as you don't leave trash, have campfires, or tear up the trail beyond repair they don't care.

My stand on hunters that wander:
"Trespassers will be shot on site... survivors will be shot again."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 02:55 PM
87sm465np208

Very interesting info wrath. give light for the situation, where did you find your info on the rule "if it isnt blocked with logs, rocks, berms or double ditches, its fair game" id really like to find out, because there are a ton of trails around here like that, i just need to know if illinois has laws like that or similer. thanks. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:03 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

"Common practice..."

Means just that. It's just like you don't cut a tree down larger than your ankle and only if it's absolutely necessary.

DNR and the BLM, pending on state, says "If it isn't posted open then it is closed." In Michigan, that's the rule.

I suggest you contact your DNR and ask for an ORV pamphlet. It'll tell you the rules governing state land.

I next recommend you get a plat book. You can probably get one at the county courthouse. You can look in the plat book to see who owns the land. You can then contact that person.

I'd also suggest you watch what the local people do. If there are any local clubs ask them.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:45 PM
79k20

Yep, if you see <font color="purple">purple </font color> paint don't go there. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode