Homemade Flat Bed??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Homemade Flat Bed???

I just got a 84 chevy 2500 from my g-pops for 500 bucks.Anyways i wanna put a flat bed made out of either wood or diamond plated steel.Does anyone have some suggestions or anything that would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:36 PM

Re: Homemade Flat Bed???

Talk to Rezzurection Joe, here is a pic of his homebuilt RezzyBed. Its still in the process of building
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 944145-RJs Truck Mod.JPG (25.8 KB, 43 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I made a flat bed for my truck.

I used 2x12's for the deck and 4x4's to mount the deck to. I just used two pieces of 4x4 going across, and ran the 6 2x12's front-to-back all the way across, just lag bolted 'em in. Only took a couple of hours to build the whole thing.

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 08:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Never built one but I would think diamond plate would be very heavy. Might be something to think about.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:30 PM

but you dont want it too light either cause youll be bouncing all over the place, and will need four wheel drive on a gravel road.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 10:27 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Yeah er anyway. Steel is the way to go, wood doesn't react with rocks well, in the few times ive been on the rocks with the bed I smacked those side rails real well.

Easy to build, grab some 2x2 and 2x3 and start arcing.

Diamond plate is very heavy, but it should be. I have about 250 pounds as it was in that pic, sans diamond tread on the rear, and the only time I've locked em up on gravel I almost slid into the ditch. Sucks much...

Anywho good luck!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 10:37 PM

ya, no weight out back SUCKS, i drove my truck like this to our farm to work on it out there for i a bit, and it was scary as [bleep], my back brakes dont work at all(i forgot at the time) i hit the brakes a lil hard, and the back tires started to hop up and down, i about missed the driveway and went in teh ditch [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 945240-JeremyPicHi-Res.JPG (89.0 KB, 44 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 07:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The wood i put on the back of my truck weighs a hell of a lot more than that bed did when i tossed it. The sides were flapping in the wind, the floor was nonexistent, and the only thing holding it on was the plywood in the bed bolted to the frame. I haven't smacked the deck on any rocks yet (not many of theme around here), but it hasn't had any problem with trees.

When i drove it to the store to buy the wood, i didn't miss the weight on the back at all. And the truck was converted to 2wd at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode