Pulling the tranny this weekend. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pulling the tranny this weekend.

Gotta rebuild or replace the old TH400.

Anyone have any usefull tips/tricks? I don't have a transmission jack/stand.. any ideas regarding this would be helpful also!

You guys think I could rebuild this thing myself?
Reccomend any books or video's on rebuilding this tranny?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 03:28 PM
87sm465np208

Re: Pulling the tranny this weekend.

have some heavy friends help you lower that thing out of there, we replaced my friends th350 with me operateing the normal hydraulic jack with some wood blocks on it and him and his dad (two big guys) holding it in place as i ran and grabed the cross member, of corse this was a 2wd truck and it was a dry th350, but if you have the knowhow to rebuild a trans like that, go for it, if not, have it done profesionaly. and id probly get a new torque converter. take it slow and look at everything before you dive right in, i did a axle swap with the truck on jack stands and 3 men (to get the axle in, i did everything else practicly by myself), two balanceing the axle on the jack, and one operateing the jack, good luck. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:00 PM

Ratchet straps can help you get the angles right, and help secure the tranny to the jackstand.

I dunno if you have a engine hoist, but I think if you lift the front of the engine up a bit it makes everything go easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

call the ciropracter (sp?) in advance. I've done half my tranny swaps with a floor jack, block of wood and a friend. Just pretend to be very strong. Ratchet straps would make things alot easier too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:14 PM
87sm465np208

hell yea guys, ratchet straps, thats a killer idea. i like that. i thought of useing that myself, had no idea it would work. im the kinda guy who likes 3 petals tho, if you know what i mean [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode