axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

axles

whats the biggest tires that the 10-bolt and 12-bolt axles can turn? i know new gears are needed, but the just the axles themselves before breakage is highly possible. thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 05:00 PM

Re: axles

Do a search and you should find quite a bit of info. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 05:22 PM

<font color="green"> Narrow 36s if you're good with the stupid pedal. </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 06:10 PM
87sm465np208

i'll tell you what, i have 33x12.50's and they done broke my rear 10 bolt, it was a gov-loc tho, and the carrier cracked, axles didnt snap ever. i replaced it with a 12 bolt, and i feel better now, with it, more durable axle. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], i have a front 10 bolt, from what i hear they arent all that bad, compareable with the dana 44, other then axle tube thickness they are pretty identical, the 10 bolt is just cheaper in most cases.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 09:26 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, the bigger the pinion gear the better off you are. You can strip some teeth off a 4.10 ring gear relatively easily with 33s and firm application of throttle. 4.56s would make it pretty easy to break a dozen teeth off a rear ten bolt. 4.88s is just plain insane in a rear.

For a 12 bolt, add a tire size and you'll be in the same boat. 35s with 4.10s starts getting iffy.

I have yet to ruin my 2.73s with my 33s. And it isn't for lack of trying. Granted, I only have ~230 horses but I can still light up one tire pretty good if I really try. On the "yooper loop" as we call it there is a spot where you stop on concrete that has all the topping wore off and all that's left is the aggregate. The stones are all polished off and when it's wet it's pretty slick. For ~20' you're accelerating on it and then it switches to asphalt. There's neat little rubber marks from wheel hop when people hit it. I haven't broken my axle yet.

The nice thing about 2.73s is that in low range on my NP208 in overdrive I can cruise at ~40 without having my motor complain like all those people with 4.56/NP205/TH400 do. Overdrive is useless any other time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 09:45 PM
87sm465np208

wow, well i wouldnt of figured that trucks had 2.73's i had 3.08's and i thought that was bad, yea that s a very interesting big of info you posted wrath, enlightend me quite a bit. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:09 PM

my S-10 has 2.73s i think
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:12 PM
Mud in my Veins

33's for being able to know that you should be able to give it some oomph when you need to and not destroy the axles.

35's if you are able to control yourself and don't do any hard core wheeling.

36's if you are either a street poser or VERY conservative and smart with your use of the, as Shaggy put it, "stupid pedal."

Big tires, lockers, and lots of power kill half ton axles. Seeing as building a truck for offroading tends to mean you do or increase all 3 of those things, it's a very fine line to walk.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 04:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First off all, let me be clear that I agree with all of you. But what I see is that you can get a different story on this for every other website you go to.
I have a 12Bolt with 4.11 on 35's. Yet to break something with a 360HP rated V8. And I use that power.
Friend with a burb has 4.88 on 44's in a 12 and keeps it in one peice.
But another friend with a converted (clever job thou) chevy 10bolt rear with 3.08 shatters it with 33's. And almost all of the time, the spiders.
I think when he puts an ARB in there as planned he has a bulletproof rear for a Heap. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think nobody can give a perfect answer. Just collect as much other people's experiances and try to picture your situation and needs.
I know for my case that I want 4.56 or 4.88 as soon as my wallet allows it. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Greetings,
Sammy
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

In my experience I blew up 10/12 bolts with 3.08 and 3.23 gears with 31"s. Upgraded the rear to a 14FF with 4.10s and never had a problem since. Put a D44 8 lug in the front to match ratios and 8 lug and started breaking it every time out. Put a Dana 60 in the front but need to install my 4.56 gears in the rear yet so haven't getten a chance to try that out yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode