Which steering solution would you go for? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Which steering solution would you go for?

OK, I can buy one of these from the same guy--which one would you guys get? I don't think they were ever put on anything since he decided to go with crossover steering last year.

4" raised steering arm (the one on the axle)... $50
4" drop pitman arm (the one that goes on the box)... $50
4" offset draglink... $75

I'm looking for the one that will cause the least amount of bumpsteer, is least likely to break my frame, and is the least likely to make my not-yet-loose steering gear cry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 08:15 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Which steering solution would you go for?

Dumb question, but have you done the weld on and bolt on steering braces yet?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Nope. That's one of the only places on my frame that still looks solid (ie: no 3/16" flakes of rust falling off both sides of the rail). Anywhere after the rear cab supports on my truck are really thin. I don't plan on beefing that area unless I run tires bigger than 33". All the "braces" I've seen don't impress me. They're like 7" long pieces of metal you weld or bolt on. I ain't no materials enjinmanear but common sense tells me you need to go from about 6" ahead (or as far as you can get) of the box to about 9" behind. Otherwise, you're just weakening the metal by welding on it or weakening it by swiss cheesing it with a 3/8" drill bit. Of course, I haven't seen all the steering braces made but I have seen a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:34 AM

<font color="green"> Get the steering arm for sure. </font color>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:55 PM
Mud in my Veins

Well, I understand the MI rust part for sure, but seems like your opinion and the opinion of virtually every good offroad parts manufacturer who makes parts for 73-87 GM trucks differ. Stephen at www.OffRoadDesign.com was one of the first with them on the market. He runs them in his K5 Jimmy that was in Four Wheeler's TTC last year. I've talked to him before, seems like a very smart guy, and also just a plain ol' honest guy. Everything else he makes is pure quality, so I can't see why these would be crap. Go over to www.ColoradoK5.com and ask him yourself on the ORD forum, or just ask about them on the forums there.

Just my opinion.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:18 PM

The frame at the steering box on my diesel was cracked in several places. With 31" tires, highway driving, and no offroad bashing at all. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] If you don't think the braces that are available for our trucks are worth it then just wait till them 33's you have tear that frame a new one. It would be a good idea to consider at least the bolt on brace before you have to spend time repairing a broken frame. Especially with the extra leverage that you are plannig on putting on it and the wide rims and offset you already have now. Just speaking from my less than fortunate experiences with a cracked frame at the steering box.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I second the raised arm as being the best. Just consider the leverage location and you will understand why a drop pitman would have more tendency to rip the box off the frame. I have seen some of the offset draglinks, they may work OK on suzukis and such where they are designed for crossover, but the short length of a stock GM link doesn't accomodate a drop well.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, I bought the raised steering arm. I never really intended to get the drop pitman arm because it just looks like a giant lever to tear the steering box off my frame and wear out my steering gear. The only reason I could thing of using a drop pitman arm is for better articulation. I considered the offset draglink because it was a damn good deal. I might buy it if I get more money just for something "for future use" to put on the shelf.

I looked at all his stuff and all of it was nearly brand new. It probably only had 500 miles on it and was about a year old. He had two steering arms and I grabbed the one that was the same length as stock.

He had it to compensate for 12" of lift and a Dana 44. He went to crossover when he replaced it with a Dana 60.

I should really take some pictures of the these guys' trucks so you guys can see what they look like. They're pretty impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode