My power steering assist sucks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 06:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My power steering assist sucks

I have an '84 K20 with 35 x 12.50/16.5 tires. My power steering assist at idle is almost nothing, are you guys in the same boat? If I bump up my idle enough to compensate, then I get run on after I shut off the engine. Is it possible to put a smaller pulley on the power steering pump to get more assist, or is my power steering pump shot? The previous owner claimed to have installed a new steering box and pump, but he also told a bunch of whoppers to me as well. Any ideas?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: My power steering assist sucks

You can try the smaller pulley, but if it was me I would just go ahead and put a new power steering pump on there. And if the new power steering pump doesn't cut it put a smaller pulley on there and that should solve it. Be sure to change out your belt to it could be slipping.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 09:07 PM
87sm465np208

Re: My power steering assist sucks

thats a bummer, did you check the fluid in the pump, is it full?, id check for a belt slip to, or lack of a belt. how about the condition of the hoses, they might be restricted, and the biggie, if the guy did replace the pump, did he bleed the air out of the system, that will do it too. how about tire inflation, make sure your tires are aired up proporly, that might do it too. grease all your ball joints if they are greaseeable. check the stupid simple stuff, useually it is that, and it saves you money and time. good luck on that, prehaps go and get yurself a manual on your truck. good luck. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode