1/2 ton to 3/4 ton axle swap U-Joint - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

1/2 ton to 3/4 ton axle swap U-Joint

Just a quick question... I'm getting ready to swap my 1/2ton axles on my K5 out for 3/4 ton axles (finally!... anyone wanna buy a 12bolt? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])... I know I need new u bolts, u-joints and need to redo the brakes on the new axles... do I need the conversion u-joint or will the same style that I currently use still work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 10:43 PM
87sm465np208

Re: 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton axle swap U-Joint

take a cap off the rear u-joint and take a cap off the front u- joint and match them up to your new 3\4 ton axle yokes and see if they fit right, if they dont yur probly gunna have to get a new cross over u-joint from napa or some place, i did a 10 bolt to the 12 bolt swap some time ago, that damn greaseable cross over u-joint costed me 28$, but it worked [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], and i got the axle in, so it worked out. inspect the brakes on yur 3\4 axles, drums shoues, springs star wheel adjusters, and the condition of the wheel cyclenders and brake lines on the axles, when i did my 10 to 12 swap i used all my current 10 bolt brake stuff, lines wheel cyclenders, because it is all less then 3 months old [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], good luck. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 07:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Use the u-joint from the heavy axle. 14ff? D60? whichever you are using, and have a competent drive shaft shop weld the appropriate yoke on to the end of your drive shaft. While your at it why not update front ujoint if needed and have the whole assembly balanced. Cost is minimal and you will have a stronger, more vibration free drive line.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 07:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've found with NAPA parts that the ujoints are mostly the same diameter. I did a similar swap and bought the conversion joint from NAPA. Had it right there on the shelf. Bolted in, no modificaitons, no problems.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

See there is only one problem with that idea... here in the Dallas Fort Worth area, the majority of the trucks that are modified around here are poser "So-Cal style too much lift for the pavement that it never leaves" type 1/2 tons with "I spent my rent check on these bad-ass tires" So until I get to my next duty station, I will just use the conversion style u-joint...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 03:45 PM
87sm465np208

thats the spirit [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

my buddy to be able to use his 2wd pickup drivline (Put his motor and t400 from his truck into a mazda RX-7) to fit to the mazda read end too the u-joint and turned down the 2 ears on it in a lathe tipp the caps from the mazda u-joint fit. Works ok in there *so far*. Maybe if you are really wanting to be cheap take the full size u-joint and turn it down to fit the shaft. I really wouldn't recommend this though.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Nah, I'm not that cheap, I will just spend an afternoon at Napa going back and forth mixing and matching until I find the right set... These poseurs drive me nuts! [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] The other day I saw a mid 90s 1/2 ton on 40 inch Dick Cepeks?! Can you say "Oww my front-end is screaming!!!"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

most likely you will need either a 347 or a 448 u-joint.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:11 PM
87sm465np208

yea, when me and my dad had to get my "Step Down" u-joint from napa, the guy behind the counter said uhhhhhhhh i dont know if we have those here, but then another guy who looked alittle more experienced came over and found the two part numbers in teh book, and it took about 15 minutes, but i got it, and it was greaseable, which made me happy, because i like to know that i can grease it if i have to, and every other week. i got an 87 chevy with a 79 rear 12 bolt. yea i could imagine the front end on that 90's 1\2 ton with 40 in. boggers was probly scream'n unless he beefed up his drivetrain and suspension. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode