Need some advice about sfa conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Need some advice about sfa conversion

Okay for starters, i got a 89 s10 that needs to be made into 4x4. Now i know the ifs is a pain to stick in and they suck anyways so might as well go sfa. now what I was wondering is if anybody knows exactly what to hack off the 2wd front frame and what would be good to replace it with. Also I was wondering if a transfer case would fit where the transmision extension is located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:03 PM

Re: Need some advice about sfa conversion

well first you should go the the Small GM board, but since i have and S-10 ill help ya a bit, i have a 2wd 91 S-10, and they are the same platform as each other. you are correct in saying an SFA coversion would be easier to covert to 4x4, but i think it would just be easier to sell your truck and buy a 4x4 truck to begin with.
although it can be done, it would require alot of time. for example im pretty sure the motor mounts are on the IFS, so you would have to relocate them to the frame. i know this is truck with my 80s Fullsize trucks, but am not sure of S-10s, but anyway like i said, make your S-10 look perdy, sell it and buy a 4x4, as an assumption your prolly not gonna get much out of an S-10, so take what money you have, and look for a 87 on back GM 4x4, good solid trucks, but inspect them well
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 07:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've never done the swap but I have seen people take 4x4 K5 or K10 chassis and put the s-10 bodys on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Can't Get Enough

Several years ago I one of the off road mags had an srticle aabout a company in Colorado that put a Jeep Dana 30 axle in under S trucks. I don't remember the name of the company though. Do a search on Google for it. Just keep rephrasing what it is you are looking for until you find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode