Locking hub swap problems...need help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 12:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Locking hub swap problems...need help

This weekend, I swapped the auto locking hubs in my 83, silverado. I removed the autos and the snap ring and washer. I then retorqed the wheel bearing retaining nut and installed the new hubs. Everything is ok with the passenger side, I have plenty of float. The problem is that the drivers side does not have any float. I had just enough room to install the lock ring. I tried everything 3 times, made sure the pin was in the hole in the plate, and retorqued the lock ring. Everything works ok and the axles lock and unlock. I am just worried that the drivers side is too tight and that the hub might be rubbing on the wheel bearing lock nut. Anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it I would greatly appreciate it. I would really hate to tear something up and I cant see how to again an extra clearance. By the way the hubs are Warn Premium. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 05:38 PM
87sm465np208

Re: Locking hub swap problems...need help

woa woa woa, i had the same trouble when doing my wheel joints, what sometimes happens is the outer shaft gets pushed in a tiny bit, anough to cause the problem your discribeing, what you do is push the axle shaft twords you, reach around and push it out twords the wall i guess you coudl say, if there is a wall behind you push it twords the wall. i had such a hard time but i just pushed in the axles shaft tword me, or pull, but that is useually the problem. good luck. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Locking hub swap problems...need help

Sounds like either the bearing isn't seated well so the hub isn't on all the way or just need to push the axle shaft out some which is uaually the case. Like 87SM said, push the axleshaft at the u-joint between the axle tube and the knuckle out toward the hub and that should get you the clearance needed. With my old D44 front you had to push it out otherwise you couldn't even see the snap ring grove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode