4 wheel drive kicks in and out - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4 wheel drive kicks in and out

Hello, i just bought a 1979 gmc 3/4 ton 4 wheeldrive pick up, it has a 400 small block, automatic. It snowed up here today about 6 inches so i went out to plow , my truck jus spun when trying to plow. In reverce it never misses a beat but going forward it will kick out of 4 wheeldrive. sometimes if i hold the brake it will kick in or start off real slow it will kick in. When im trying to move ahead i can hear something clicking like the transfer is not in or a hub is not enguaged. I think i have the np203 transfer but not sure. im just useing the truck for a yard plow truck. anybody got any ideas? thanks ......steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4 wheel drive kicks in and out

Does the truck have any lift? Particularly body lift? Probable need to adjust the t-case shift linkage. Mine did that too when I dropped my t-case.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 05:42 PM
87sm465np208

if you have a full time, did you throw it in hi-lock or low-lock, if you didnt then you have 2wd. and if you were graced with an np205, did you lock them hubs? sounds stupid but it happens, or it could be a lack of fluid? or maybe an internal issue?, anywho good luck on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 06:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you've got the np205, or np208 (whichever is for that year, I don't remember), and if it's got those OEM automatically locking hubs (they don't have a dial), like mine used too, they dry up from lack of use. And...click, click, click, click, after you pull the t-case into 4Hi, or 4Lo. I spent $70 and slapped a set of Warn Premiums on. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 09:18 PM
87sm465np208

honestly i think they started that autolock hub crap in 83'
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah my '83 had 'em, with the cool lookin 4x4 sticker that I miss. But, I've seen Dial-less, and sticker-less older ones. Just a slightly domed metal cap on the hub. I can only assume it's some auto locking hub.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

probably the ones with the plain jane half domed cap are the full tim hubs that is basically just a cover. Anyways, back to the problem at hand.... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Probably first need to ID what t-case you have. Does it have a lo loc and hi loc position then it is a NP203. If it shifts like this:
4lo
N
4hi
2hi-then it is a NP205
and if it shifts like this:
2hi
4hi
N
4lo- then it is a NP208.
Hope that make sense.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 01:56 PM

The auto lockers started either in 81 or 82 I know they were in use in 82 because mine has them.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 03:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, i do have 4lo loc and 4 hi loc so i guess it is a np203. I checked the fluid , made sure the lever wasent hitting the body and checked the adjustment. The mechanic and my work told me to check to make sure the front shaft wasent spining inside the slip joint so i put the truck against a rock and had my wife try to make it slip..... everything was turning......so i figured id check my axle shafts after i read 83gmck2500's post......well he was right , my axle shafts are turning like their saposed to and the hub was clicking. Now.......its just a yard truck so can i take it apart and lube them up or should i opt for new hubs? I checked northernautoparts.com and found a set for $49.99 , Thanks everyone for all your help.........steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode