Help! Lifting Blazer 6 inches; then what? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help! Lifting Blazer 6 inches; then what?

I have never lifted a truck before but I am pretty mechanically inclined so I am planning on doing everything myself. My dad owns a machine and welding shop so I will have all of the tools that I need.

I just bought a 89 Blazer and I am going to lift it, I was planning on lifting it about 6 inches and running 35's or 36's. Mostly it will be on the road with some occasional off-roading, mainly mud.

I know that I need to regear and extend brake lines and stuff like that, but what will I need to do for the following:
1) Steering modifications
2) Driveline angles, I know that I can shim the springs, but do I need to do more? What about lowering the transfer case? I have heard of people doing that. Would that be a good solution to keeping my angles good?
3) What about driveshafts, will they have to be lengthened? My dad owns a machine and weld shop, but he has never done stuff like that, but I figure that he could. What is involved in lengthening a driveshaft?

Thanks for any help

Trey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 04:35 PM

Re: Help! Lifting Blazer 6 inches; then what?

Don't forget a frame brace. You or your dad can weld it in. The frame cracks near the steering box with the added stress of bigger tires. Sometimes it even cracks without bigger tires. Offroad unlimited or Offroad design offers one, I can't remember which, always get those two companies mixed up.

For steering, most people go with a drop drag link, if you buy a package they usually come included don't they?

6" is borderline for needing driveshaft modifications. Most people get away without it I think.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 04:57 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Actually, most people go with a drop steering arm. They're around $50-70. Drop draglinks are in the $110-150 range. I went looking for them today so that's how I know.. hehe.

The drop steering arms usualy come with 6" kits and most of the time are only options on 4" kits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some of the kits that I have looked at come with steering arms and other stuff, but some don't. I was wondering what I needed to get, because I have seen steering arms and pitman arms and drag links for sale and I was wondering what I really needed.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 05:01 PM

Here is the steering box brace.

Umm, about the driveshaft, yes it will have to be lengthened with a 6" lift but your dad won't be able to do this. It has to be balanced after it's lengthened or else you will get a wicked vibration when driving. Mine cost 200 bucks to have lengthened but it was a rather large driveshaft so yours I would think would be about 150 each.

You will need a dropped pitman arm and possibly a raised steering arm depending on how much drop the dropped pitman arm has.

Dropping the t-case is a good idea. It helps with the rear driveshaft angles at the t-case yoke.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 05:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will both driveshafts have to be lengthened?

How do you drop a t-case?

Will shims do good enough for the axle yoke angles?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 05:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm unsure about the lengthening of the driveshafts, but I can help with the TC drop and pinion angles. To drop the TC, remove the bolts that hold it in while supporting it with a floor jack. You'll notice some spacer sleeves that are installed on the top of the bolts. Remove them and reinstall them between the TC and frame, and your drop is complete. Or you could fab some up in your shop that are a little beefier. As far as the pinion angles go, most lift springs and blocks come with and offset angle built into them to get you back to a reasonable pinion angle. That, along with the dropped TC, should eliminate any vibration issues you'd have. Let us know how you make out, and I wanna see pics before and after!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the info.

The only thing left to decide is what brand of tire to buy. I was thinking about three kinds of swampers; either tsl radials, tsl ssr's or the trxus. Was thinking also of a BFG mut terrain or a goodyear mtr. I know that the BFG and the MTR will do better on the road and I will get more miles out of them and that seems to be the most logical decision considering that I will mostly be on the road. But I just love how swampers look.

What do yall suggest? Will the road manners of the swampers be that much worse and will I get that much less tread life? I can deal with a little less tread life and worse road manners, but not a whole lot because I am in college and on a tight budget.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 03:25 PM

if you use boggers use the tsl's they are more stable on the streets and you won't buy any toyos boggers are not made for the street
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode