Engine Troubles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 04:01 PM
toyatic

Engine Troubles

I just got an 87 chevy 4x4, 350,auto, fuel injected, from my uncle. He had a guy rebuild the motor and tranny about 2k ago. When he gave me the truck it had 35's and 3.08 gears. It got a horrible 12-10 mpg, and drove decent. Now the truck gets about 10-8 mpg and is missing and bogging. Sometimes it runs great, then all of a sudden it will either cut out for a second, or the motor will bog and not run strong. The exhaust at this point sounds very hollow. I was wondering what you guys thought this is, and what should the timing be on this truck? It is a rebuild 350 with a 30 over bore and that is it...
thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 04:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Engine Troubles

might check spark plug wires, might be missing or maybe shorting out again a header or something?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 04:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

Maybe the distributor. That was my problem once.

Laters, Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 09:37 PM
toyatic

I also forgot to mention the truck usually runs at 160 but when it starts to bog it heats up to about 210-190 but the red is not till 260. I still have the trucked parked though b/c I do not want to risk it. I was told by my buddy to check the dist.. any one know what is should be timmed at? thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey man.I dont know what kind of Pollution Control you have to have but I would check your Cataletic Coverter. As crazy as it may seem I know from experience that that could definetly be a problem. Have you ever heard a rattle from under the truck? Check to see if you have a rattle in your mufflers or Cat Converter,even if you have to bang on them. Also crank it up and see what kind of discharge you have coming out of the exhaust. Maybe compare it to another vehicle as a referance. Good Luck. Rod. <font color="red"> </font color>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 05:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm wondering if the Service Engine Soon (SES) light might be coming on when the engine bogs? I'm thinking maybe the reference pluse from the distributor to the computer might be messed up. One quick and easy way to know if the reference pluse is messed up is seeing the SES light come on. The SES light might not be on for very long, but if the SES light is coming on, then there is a trouble code set. Might be a good idea to check the computer for any trouble codes before spending any cash at the parts store. Another cheap thing to check is to look at the spark plugs, check to see if all 8 are about the same color. If one or two sprak plugs have a different color than the others, the engine trouble could very well end up being a mechanical problem with the recent rebuild. I'm also thinking the catalytic converter might be a problem.
dave
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 07:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Factory timing should be 0 degrees.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 11:58 AM

check the ignition module and pick-up coil, also fuel pump
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 02:06 PM
toyatic

Thanks for all your help guys. I timed it yesterday, and checked everything. The timing was off, but I feel there should be more then just that. It is running stronger then ever though.. How is that 10-12 mpg is that about avg for this truck? 350, 700r4, 35's, 3.08, and highway/city combined?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 04:13 PM

you have 35s and 3.08s i feel sorry for you [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode