So i am going to buy my motor tommorow.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So i am going to buy my motor tommorow..

and the guy I am buying it from has a bunch, and i am torn. i sitll cant decide between the sb 400 and the 350. i have heard that the 400 will have problems with overheating, just am not sure. it is bored, and only has 10,000 miles on a rebuild. i just dont want to be kicking myself later if i am going to run into a lot of problems with it. any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 07:14 PM

Re: So i am going to buy my motor tommorow..

Get a 4 core or good 3 core RAD, and you will have no problems.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 07:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have the stock radiator out of the 85 diesel i had...will this be sufficient? also, will it drop in or will i need to make something to hold it in there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

not to be a smartarse but, a motor is electrical and an engine is diesel or gas powered.

theo
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 09:42 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Chances are that the radiator is a 3 core since it came out of a diesel. Take a look to make sure.

The heat problem is in the heads. They need "steamholes" drilled in them. Chances are it's already been done. The 400 has siamesed cylinders (like a lot of the bowtie blocks) so heat builds up at the bottom of the cylinders and cooks things. It's also one of the main reasons racers don't recommend you grind more than .010" off the cylinders since you might develop distortion. I wouldn't worry about it though. As long as you've got steamholes you'll never have a problem with it that you wouldn't with a 350.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 11:18 PM

The diesel rad. that was in my truck was a masive 4-core with both trans and oil coolers. It just gave up the ghost the other week and a replacement one for it coast $310. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] So I got a smaller 3-core out of another truck for now till I get the cash. As for which engine just think of the saying "there is no replacement for displacement."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 07:00 AM
ratlover

What wrath said about the steam holes......

also see what it has been bored to, both a reasonable bore I would go with the 400. If you are going to rebuild it get rid of the 400 rods. A 400 can go more than 10 over but if you buy one especially to rebuild make sure you guys work out that if it sonic checks bad or there are cracks then he aint keeping your money for a bad mill.

Are you going to rebuild it or just plop it in or what? That determins what checks you should do......
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pick the 400. I love mine. No replacement for displacement right. I think ever deisel radiator I;ve seen has been pretty massive and we almost put one in my buddys truck this has a bad radiator, he has a 350 though, but to make it cool the best. I have a stock 3 row on my truck and don't have heating problems with my 400sbc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode