Need advice on Big block? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 12:48 AM
73or87

Need advice on Big block?

I have a 73 3/4 ton Chevy 6"susp lift and 3"body. I was looking for a 454 to build up. I am having trouble finding one around here. So my freind has a 425 BB caddy and I was wondering if this would be a good motor to build or should I keep looking for a 454. Just wondering if any one new how hard is it to get stuff to build this 425 up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need advice on Big block?

I'm not familiar with it but from what I have heard it is hard to get hot rod parts for motors such as the Caddy 500 whereas chevy big block aprts are plentyful. I dunno it it would pertain to the 425 like the 500 but may be somehting to think about.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 10:20 AM
ratlover

I would pass. Cad motors are great with lotsa torque but they are expensive to build compared to a chevy and with a caddy motor you need a BOP tranny. Keep your eyes peeled

And please fill out your bio.....we might know of one close to ya. And welcome [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 09:31 PM

get a 454 and rebuild it i have had mine for ten years and
have never touched it but to change the water pump twice
and change the plugs and oil and it still holds 100 psi on the oil gauge [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 09:51 AM
Mud in my Veins

Personally I'm gonna dissent from everyone else around here. BOP (that includes Caddy's) engines make great power, especially down low. Parts aren't cheap or common, but I bet that Caddy engine doesn't have a lot of miles on it, runs well, and came out of some old guy's Caddy land yacht that was hardly driven. 80% or better of the Caddy engines are like that, and you can often get them stupid cheap. Personally I'd never run a Chevy/GMC big block after seeing some of the power numbers of bone stock or barely modified Caddy engines. Yeah, parts aren't cheap or common, but you really don't need much. The BOP engine to Chevy tranny adaptor plate that is available in JEG's and you can make it work. Another nice advantage is that the Caddy engines only weigh like 60lbs more than an SBC. Replace that cast iron intake they have with the Edelbrock Performer intake, and the difference is even less.

Just my thoughts. There are a few guys on here who could back me up on this, Jeff472 and BigBadCad amongst them.

http://www.500cid.com/mts/info.htm makes for some good reading on the Caddy engines.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 01:52 AM

my tall block has 70000 on it and i still hook up my 35 foot
travel trailer and can not tell it is back there. and it has a curb weight of 17,500 i can gain speed all the way up a 1 mile
long hill 30- 35 degrees and i rebuilt the motor my self and
it has a stock cam and 30 thou bore and i like the caddy too
but parts do get hard to find and costly.besides try to get a part from someone at a rally or when your by your self
in the middle of no-where and there is always an old truck in a field some where you can get parts to fit or to get you back home.and may i ad that i drive dodge and ford to but i drive
4 chevy trucks the most
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 09:55 AM
Can't Get Enough

Got me a 500 sitting under the carport. Pick one up for 200 bucks and put $2000 into it and you get over 400 HP and over 500 ftlb of torque. This was done in a Hot ROd issue a few years back. Even stock it was at 300HP and 405ft lb. Damn it!! I can't find that issue! [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I will try and find it today. Some of the stuff they did was too much for a daily driver(12.5:1 Compression using 67 El DOrado Heads) but most of the stuff was good stuff and not very expensive over all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode