whats to swapin a 10 bolt to a 12 bolt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 04:15 PM
87sm465np208

whats to swapin a 10 bolt to a 12 bolt

whats to swapin a 10 bolt to a 12 bolt, and can i take a 2wd 12 bolt, and put my 6 lug axles in the houseing, and take the 5 lug axles out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 04:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: whats to swapin a 10 bolt to a 12 bolt

that swap is a peice of cake. Even the brakes are compadible between the 2. I don't know about the shafts between 10 and 12 bolt but if I have time next time I'm at Joe's folks I'll look at my old 10 bolt and 12 bolt rears and see if I can tell a difference
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 05:13 PM
87sm465np208

yea there is a differnence, i need to buy a special u-joint for the rear to match up with the driveshaft, napa has em for 8$ so that shouldnt be a biggie, how about the u-bolts on the leife springs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 05:46 PM
kona_joe

I helped a friend do this swap not to long ago, [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It is a bolt in swap over with the exception of the u-joint.
I'm not sure on the axle shafts, 10bolts may have 28 or 30 spline axles and 12 bolts use 30 spline axles

Joe
79K10
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 06:40 PM
87sm465np208

sweeeet im so excited, how much did you torque those u-bolts down to? and what u-joint, and how much did the u-joint cost, btw 10 bolts with [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] GOV-LOCS SUCK
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 08:39 PM
87sm465np208

btw i blew my gov loc in my 10 bolt, i will try to post pics but i tell you what, it sucked, sounded like someone hit the side of my truck with their fist, and when i was makin the turn to get back to my house, i had to take up 4 lanes to get back to my street, because if i tuned sharp the diff went BANG and it the trucks rear tires sorta shifted to the right like the tire was gunna fall off, god that sucked, and i dont want to put another 10 bolt under there with 33's, i want to get a 12 bolt carrier, 2wd or 4wd and slam my 12 bolt axles in it that i got from my friends old 12 bolt, and just assemble it and bolt it under my truck before it snows over here, burrrrrrr. btw if you have a 10 bolt with a gov loc and larger tires expect somthin to give.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 08:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

that right, I forget that I had to get one of those funny u-joints. I don't rmemeber how much it cost and for some reaon but I might and proably could darn be wrong it may be the same u=joint you use to upgrade to teh 14FF too. Reason I say that is when I went to carquest to ask for a joint to got 1/2 ton drivline to the 14FF I got one and then they said I had bought the same joint a few months back which would have been for the 12 bolt but I might be wrong still.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 10:12 PM
87sm465np208

im takin the 12 bolt i got from my friend for free, and havin it re-geared, and possibly new bearings, but im gunna do it this way, since i have no way to goto the junkyard myself, and i got this thing for free, mide' as well work with it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 09:04 AM
87sm465np208

i took it in.....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 12:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can't swap them unless you have a 10 bolt with 30 spline axle shafts. All older 10's have 28 spline, I think they started with 30 spline 10 bolt in 87 not to sure though. Unless you just have a 12 bolt laying around I wouldn't waste my time, neither one are all that strong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode